Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
King of Callaway
43,137 Posts
Morning or evening, Unless it's changed they are legal, although some CA's might prohibit them

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[rquote=1540077&tid=107280&author=BowMadness]You can call yotes any time of day.

You can kill just as many at noon as you can @ 6 am or pm.

It's all in the stand location.

:cheers:[/rquote]

I have always seemed to see them more during the early morning and late evening, didnt know if calling would be good mid day, something you could do without waking up in the dark and freezing your toosh off.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I look at it like this coyotes are like deer. they are out mostly at night but some movement is during the day.

. think about it like this.....a coyote that has been out all night feeding will not pass up a easy meal right before he hits the sack in the morning, however a coyote that is called to in the evening might wait til after dark to come in to investigate. What I like to do is to play the wind and to set up in places i can quietly get in close to their bedding/den. first give a few short/quiet sequences then gradually get louder and longer. in my own personal experiences if they dont come in within 15 minutes move on, however bobcats and foxes are more finicky, they may take longer to investigate. something to take into consideration. the number one problem is over calling a rabbit has lungs the size of a thimble hes not going to call for 2 minutes straight.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
[rquote=1541435&tid=107280&author=showmethejewels]I look at it like this coyotes are like deer. they are out mostly at night but some movement is during the day.

What I like to do is to play the wind and to set up in places i can quietly get in close to their bedding/den. first give a few short/quiet sequences then gradually get louder and longer. in my own personal experiences if they dont come in within 15 minutes move on, however bobcats and foxes are more finicky, they may take longer to investigate. something to take into consideration. the number one problem is over calling a rabbit has lungs the size of a thimble hes not going to call for 2 minutes straight. [/rquote]
:2thumbsup:Good advise right there Jewels, I've had my best luck right as it's breaking daylight. I haven't called a whole lot though.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I actually will call a little when just breaking light, just a very very little just enough to get their attn but not enough so they can pinpoint me. if they get in on you and you cant see them it doesnt do any good. i may call for 10 seconds. max. like i said earlier in another post, i love febuary when we start to get the warm morning sunrises

·
Registered
587 Posts
[rquote=1541435&tid=107280&author=showmethejewels] something to take into consideration. the number one problem is over calling a rabbit has lungs the size of a thimble hes not going to call for 2 minutes straight. [/rquote]

Coyotes are not that smart. They don't know that a rabbit won't scream for 2 minutes straight. They hear something that is hurt, and they want the easy meal.

besides, Coyotes have a very short attention span. i guarantee you go to non stop calling, you get more dogs coming in to your sets.

This is just my experience. I use to call then pause call then pause. Had too many dogs hang up and then head the other way. Once I started continuous calling, it always seals the deal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.