What the heck was I thinkin. Passed a goodn/

Discussion in 'Archery Hunting' started by pinwheel, Nov 7, 2010.

1. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    Last week, Jenny had a good buck come in on her & picked her off in the stand. They played the peekaboo game & she won. He came on in to 23 yds & started working his scrape. She took the shot, but evidently, he was still keyed up from the peekaboo game, case he spun just as she let fly on him. Hit him back & she said he was limpin pretty good on that hind leg. Said he was a good 9.

Fast forward to tonight. I hunted that same general area tonight & I turned around to see a decent buck (so I thought). He's limpin, so I decided it was the buck she shot & even though he was limpin, he's gonna be just fine.

He jumped the fence & I was able to get the glasses on him & immediatly started kickin myself. This pic doesn't do him justice. He'll easily go 150. But he's not a 9, he's a 10 and Jenny didn't hurt him too bad, cause he went up the hill & thrashed a rub.

While we were looking for him when Jenny shot him, cliffhanger said I ran another big 10 almost right over top of him. I'll be hunting that stand both hunts tomorrow, and hope he gives me another crack at him.

[file]146694[/file]

2. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    Buck looks pretty good from my angle:stickfight:

3. BowHunterKc

BowHunterKc New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    well good luck and hope you get him. He looks pretty good from what i can see!

4. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    BTW u2u backatcha PW:wave:

5. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1884509&tid=131281&author=Refuze2falo]Buck looks pretty good from my angle:stickfight:[/rquote]

He looked even better goin away up that hill. Really good mass.:stickfight:

6. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :peepwall: Whoa my. :peepwall:

Parker

7. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Have ya noticed how much bigger they look when they are walking away and you've decided to pass?? Hate that. Maybe he'll make you decide again in a day or two.

8. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    [rquote=1884520&tid=131281&author=Parker]:peepwall: Whoa my. :peepwall:

Parker[/rquote]

'zactly...what Parker said! :eek:

9. Clippers

Clippers New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Kirksville,MO
    They always look bigger going away. With a place like yours its ok to pass on bucks like that.:D

10. Satch

Satch Senior Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Central MO
    Look at the positive, no ground shrinkage.:D

11. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Wouldnt have got a hall pass from me!!! lol

12. dodge

dodge Active Member

Oct 8, 2010
    cedar hill, mo
    ida shot him

13. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You guys are too picky. I'm not. :D

14. mofarmboy

mofarmboy Active Member

Nov 18, 2007
    central mo.
    whatcha thinkin man.......sorry to hear about jenny's luck our mwt team coulda used those 20points:blah:

15. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

[rquote=1884522&tid=131281&author=archer66]

Have ya noticed how much bigger they look when they are walking away and you've decided to pass?? [/rquote]

I never have that problem. :D

[file]146709[/file]

(For this thread, pretend that's a bow).

16. Wooddust

Wooddust Active Member

Jul 26, 2003
    I had two good uns this am and neither one would slow down long enough to drive an arrow though them....this week should be good.

17. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    They always look bigger than they are from behind. Good pass maybe that big shed buck will saunter by!

18. beagleboy6

beagleboy6 New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Bates County
    hard to pass them this late in bow season, but if you have to think about it, it was probably the right decision

19. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1884656&tid=131281&author=20 feet high]They always look bigger than they are from behind. Good pass maybe that big shed buck will saunter by![/rquote]

This is not one of those situations. I got to glass this boy very well after I passed him. He was within 60 yds for several minutes. I just made a bad first glance call. There's no doubt this guy is a shooter. One of those situations where you have to make a snap decision cause the window of opportunity is short. I made the wrong call.

20. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Better than shootin' 'em, and THEN finding out afterwards it was the wrong call?!

Just tryin' to help... :whistle: