Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m wanting to get a new custom striker for my pot calls. I’m still pretty new to turkey hunting so I have no idea what wood to get. Anyone have a favorite striker wood, or know the difference in sound between woods?
Thanks

· Registered
21,445 Posts
I also really like a carbon striker. They have a different sound. I probably hava a half a dozen different strikers that I really like, usually matched with a different slate, glass or other pot call.

· Registered
4,740 Posts
Yeah, all my pot calls are customs. I have slates, ceramic, aluminum, copper and glass. Each call has several strikers matched to it. Some strikers work well on several different surfaces. Others not so much. A custom maker knows his woods and surfaces and usually has a well matched striker or two with his call. Buying a random striker to go with a call is an unknown sometimes.

· Strutt Buster
5,924 Posts
Diamondwood is a good choice. Works well on slate and glass. No so much on metal surfaces. It can get screechy. Diamondwood is also limited in supply. Not much of it left out there. The plant that made it, burned down several years back. They never rebuilt. The formula is protected by patent, so nobodies reproducing it. There is another product thats making its way into the market. Called Dymalux. It's pretty close. I picked up a supply here awhile back, and been running it on multiple surfaces. Been happy with it so far. I know alot of guys are hot for Snakewood. But it's hard to get too, and not cheap either. Personally, I think guys put too much efficents on the sound, when it's the vocabulary you should be worried about creating. If your on facebook, ck out my call page, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls. Be glad to help ya if your wanting something.

· Under appreciated
93,233 Posts
I end up running @Mastevt s trough call more than anything anymore. Its so easy to run and sounds great. I like my osage orange stricker

Reactions: Rednecknick
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.