What size hook do you use.

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by Crappie, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Crappie

Crappie Slab Master

For crappie i use the 1/16 oz. with #2 long shank hook. 3/4 " weighted floater. I simply cast to structure all day working the jig. If Iwant to go to a 2 jig rig i go with a 1" unweighted float. Seems to work great for me....

2. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Most of the time I fish without a float with double 1/16 ounce jigs. From the bank, and from the boat.

When the spring crappie are heading in to the rock banks, I fish a double 1/16 ounce rig then a 1/8 ounce split shot, a bead, a slip bobber, another bead, and then a tied slip knot. I have a 6 1/2' light rod and a Quantum spinning reel that I have set up just for this job. This way I can fish the spring spawn for a lot longer than the normal fisherman, catching the slabs coming in and going out. I use my normal rig when they're on the banks. I'll fish my slip anywhere from 18" to 6 feet.

Parker

3. Outdoorsman

Outdoorsman New Member

Jul 30, 2003
    PB, MO
    I like the small round weighted Bobber's, and I usually fish with minnow's. I thinkI use 2 ought or one ought. Whichever is the smallest of the two sizes. I forget...

4. Snowman

Snowman New Member

Mar 8, 2005
    Stover
    In the fall up here we fish the deeper holes. Mostly 25-50 foot on most of the lakes I fish. The crappies are anywhere from half way down to the bottom. If they are suspended I use a slip bobber with a # 14 treble. For the bottom either mini jigs or the #14 with a spit shot. Are the crappies ever in the deep holes down there and do you fish them then?