Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:neuspeuter:Synthetics.....
The Mossberg ATR 270/ 30.06 $250
The clearance Savage 111 .300 WSM $300.
Savage 116 Synthetic with accu trigger .270 WSM $440
Weatherby Vanguard $430
Remington 710? $350
Wood Browning A Bolt & Win. Laminate Model 70- $500 ish

What do you think, or should I find a good used one?
Thanks.:cheers:

·
5,631 Posts
Throw out the 710, pretty much junk from what I've heard.

Don't know anything about the Mossberg.

Can't go wrong with any of the rest of them. I'd pick up the Winchester simply cause they're not gonna make them anymore!

·
5,631 Posts
That Savage 116 is probably just about in the right price range. The 111 is pretty close also.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
yeah stay away from the remington 710 don't hear much good about them i won't talk cal....but i hate the 270 HAHAHA the vanguard is about the same as the howa i belive i have one and love my howa great gun. the new accu trigger guns by savage are really really sweet to miles above the old savages i keep saying thats what my next rifle will be but time will tell.

several good choices there ..............i think i would skip the 300 wsm to but thats just me but i am not talking cal right hahaha

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
My experience with guns in general and rifles in particular is that the trigger is the most crucial part of the system. I have them sweetened or replaced on my own rifles including my lever guns. The Savage accu-trigger is a fine trigger out of the box.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Do it the Navy way, flip a coin! Or just buy trial and error. I have found that no matter what I get I will be happy with it until the next one!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I think I would go with the Savage. I have always liked the way they shot but hated their triggers. I have two and both of them are real shooters, but I had to buy a replacement trigger. I have shot several with the accutrigger and I want one bad, but can't justify it. I really don't think you could go wrong with anything other than that 710.

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Stay away from the 710. As far as calibers go I'd stick with the regular long time cartridges and stay away from the short mags. Of the calibers you listed I'd go with .30-06. If you are wondering why the .30-06 here is a link to a post by Blevely that gives you good reasons for that choice. I like the Savage and Browning of the rifles you listed. Like Poor Valley said the trigger can make the difference from being a so-so shooter to a tack driver.

http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=26792

Jack

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
a guy on another forum i visit has one of the mossbergs and he says it's a shoot'n s.o.b. he is the first guy i have talked with that had one and had actual field experiance with it. he has it in .270 and he was getting sub MOA at 100 yds., but that is the only guy i know that has one. other than the 710 i would find the best deal on any of those and go for it. i would stick with a more conventional cal. as stated previously by the others.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Originally posted by Big John
DO NOT BUY USED!!!!!!!!!! Either of the savages would be fine.
Big John i have to respectfully disagree with you on that. especialy someone who may be on a tight budget. you can get by far a lot more gun and sometimes optics to boot by buying used. just because it's for sale doesn't mean there's something wrong with it. now if you are to buy used there are things to do to help protect yourself. one is to take the rifle or firearm to someone who knows what they are doing and have it looked at, also see if you can put a few down the pipe. i have gotten some of my best deals by purchasing used firearms.

·
5,631 Posts
Originally posted by JimH
Big John i have to respectfully disagree with you on that. especialy someone who may be on a tight budget. you can get by far a lot more gun and sometimes optics to boot by buying used. just because it's for sale doesn't mean there's something wrong with it. now if you are to buy used there are things to do to help protect yourself. one is to take the rifle or firearm to someone who knows what they are doing and have it looked at, also see if you can put a few down the pipe. i have gotten some of my best deals by purchasing used firearms.
You're right on here, Jim. Good post.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Originally posted by GoGop
Out of that list I'd pick the Mossberg in .270, but in reality I'd look for a Ruger M77. (Also in .270)
The Mossberg may end up being the Sleeper. i know one rifle doesn't prove a thing but this guy shot 4 times at 100 yds with his 270 and had one ragged hole. i sure would love to find some other folks who bought them to see how they did.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Regarding used guns, I don't think they should be avoided, particularly if you know something about its origin. Even without knowing the origin of a gun, I have literally purchased dozens of used rifles without any problems.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Originally posted by JimH
I guess I should have given my reason for that statement, I owned 2 weapons in my life that were used, 1 was an M1 Garand that for no reason that my gunsmith could figure out would fail to fire 8 round and jamed once with the bolt nearly closed fired and blew the case open spraying me with hot powder. 2 was a mossberg 20 gage bolt action that the bolt was screwed up on and it opened up when fired and broke the back half or the bolt off, this was my first weapon and turned me off on used guns for 30 years until the gerand, NEVER AGAIN.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.