Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since many of you have GPS's, Range Finders, ATV Winches, etc...I thought I'd ask which should I buy in order. I have a hefty bonus coming, thus after I payoff some debt, I'll have some money's to play with:

Which do you think I should purchase, get most use out of, or in order what should I purchase:
1. ATV Winch - If so, what brand? I was going to put this on my Grizzly. Any suggestions as to how big 1500lbs, 2000lbs, etc?

2. GPS - I was thinking this could help me on the road, as well as, hunting Public Land and marking fishing spots. But, since I don't have my boat now, and I won't hunt on public land that much, gas prices, etc.....I'm thinking this may not be a good choice. But, I sure like to have one, just to have one! A guy thing! :D

3. Range Finder - I'm pretty good at judging distances, and I mark my yardage for bowhunting by placing old arrows in the ground. So, I'm not sure this will benefit me much. In addition, most of my rifle shots are 200 yards or less.

4. An ATV Trail Rake to smooth/level the food plot and get the remaining sticks out. But, I'll only use this for a couple of seasons, and it'll be done? But, I could also use it to rake up leaves that cover the plot in the Spring? Or, I'll have to disc the plot again in order to get rid of some leaves so they don't choke out the spring growth? (Tufline $500)

5. Or, use the money to build a shed next to the cabin for storage of implements prior to purchasing additional equipment?

My budget is roughly $500.

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
all of the above,got to have your toys

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::dancin::dancin: Amen!

Unfortunately, it has to be one or the other. I suppose I failed to mention, I'll be sinking around $1400 in the cabin to complete it, as well as to pay off debt and get a toy, or several! :D

·
19,585 Posts
You're already answering your own question...

The only things you didn't shoot down with the word "But" is the winch and the shed.

I've got 3 out of 5 on your list ~ rangefinder, GPS & ATV winch ~ and I use the rangefinder more than anything.

As far as a well, I don't think $500 is gonna get much done. Our well cost $5K for drilling, casing, pump, etc...but we had to drill down between 300'-400'!

·
2,691 Posts
Chariman, a lot of the well drillers will do financing with 10% down. If SMB has $500 and your well was $5000 that might be the ticket to get it done. I don't remember him saying he had a well which is one thing that would increase the value of the property. ATV winches are seldom used by most people who have atv's unless they go on mud trails. We use our atv everyday on the farm and have never been stuck. The other stuff is nice but SMB has built a neat place that would be neater with water.

·
19,585 Posts
OK ~ the way I understood it was that all he had was $500 to spend. With financing, I'd definitely go with a well too.

One other thing to consider too is, there's no guarantee on the quality of water you're gonna end up with. Kinda like a crapshoot...

I know, because after having our well drilled, the health dept. tests revealed that our water wasn't fit to drink. And I sure couldn't afford to keep drilling here & there, @ $5K a pop...

But, water has a lot of other uses too.

By the way ~ we still have to haul our drinking water, every week... :roll2:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chair - I called about getting a well drilled, and the guy told me $60/ft. Which I thought was high dollar!!! And, like you said, I'm not guaranteed to hit anything. In fact, I talked with the county, and the guy told me or recommended against drilling North of the Missouri River, because it's tough to find water. Below Missouri River is excellent he said. In addition, there aren't many wells in my area, or active. So, I was thinking about getting a Water Tank, pump, pressure tank, and small water heater. It would be cheaper, and as often as I'm out there, I think it'll do. So, I decided to go the water tank route, I hate to do it, but it's cheaper and safer. To hook up city water = $8 - 11K. A bit steep for being out there less than 15 times a year.

I'm spending about $1400 on the water system, toilet and shower base, and that'll be completed.

$500 on a toy! :D

And the rest to pay off other stuff.

Rainbow- I'd like to drill, but after speaking with the county guy, I decided against it. I'd rather get city water there versus having to possibly drilling twice.

Roscoe - funny you said that, I was considering putting that on here as an option! :rotfl::rotfl:

·
19,585 Posts
Originally posted by SmokinBarrel

$500 on a toy! :D
Well, with that said ~ I'd say you could get a GPS AND a rangefinder, for your $500!

I've had my winch on my Polaris Ranger for about 1 year & 8 months now ~ and I've only used it once.

BUT ~ once I start our project of thinning trees, I'd imagine it's gonna get a lot more use.

·
Registered
241 Posts
the winch would be my choice, and yes i have a winch on my 425 polaris magmun 4x4. the winch is the only thing that if you need it and are in the right spot, and don't have one you are in trouble. all others can be usefull, but you can get by without them., and yes i have been in a spot where id have beenin a world or hurt if we didnt have the winch

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'd say GPS and then rangefinder. You'll be set with your 500 dollar budget. A GPS is an invaluable tool when huntig areas that aren't familar to you, and the RF should be a mandatory tool for all ethical bowhunters, just my 2 cents.

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
If you need a roller/fairlead for your winch, I got an extra no charge but the mounting kit
should come with one. I bought the 2300 trail tamer from Cabelas made by Superwinch.. lots folks like the Warn winches but I have no complaints about
the one I have.. its on a 400yamaha.
I have a magellan GPS and like it except for the software so you might look at Garmin units.. I've heard that the software/firmware is more user friendly.
Get the rangefinder that you need.. lots of 400yd models are cheaper than 800 or similars and if you dont need to range 800yds you can save money.
BP has the bushnell yardage pros on sale for 130.00 or so right now I think.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.