What programs have you utilized through federal or state for your property

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by leasburg, Mar 6, 2018.

1. leasburg

leasburg Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    Just curious on things that you have done on your property with a little extra help. From ponds to cover. Even if it was just seed. Share some of your wins and losses.
  2. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Tsi they came out and looked it over with me. I cut it they came back and checked had me do a little more and then cut me a check.

3. leasburg

leasburg Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO

Awesome, not to ask the dollar amount, but was it worth having them involved?
  4. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Yes I think about 5gs for 40 acres. Took me a couple weekends and something I wanted to do anyway
  5. CuivreDog2

CuivreDog2 Addicted Habitat Junkie

Mar 27, 2010
    Lincoln County, MO
    Three separate Forest Management Plans, cost share assistance on TSI on three different units, firebreak construction via cost share on dozed firebreaks on three units, invasive species eradication assistance, cost share on burn implementation in each unit, permanent forest opening construction and cost share.

Anyone not utilizing their services is either uninformed or has way too much money and paying for it themselves!

Every time I purchase another parcel adjoining me, the first thing I do is get them out here for options/opinions/plans to enhance the habitat.
  6. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    CRP ground and a little TSI ground. TSI was a lot of work for a little bit of money, but there are more than monetary benefits.
  7. farmnhunt

farmnhunt Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2006
    I,ve done TSI, it is not worth it for the money but is for the habitiat improvement, same for glade restoration. Excluding livestock from timber and streams is definitely worth it for wildlife and pays more than material cost. Seeding, wildlife watering facilities, firebreaks were all good programs that paid well, some out of pocket cost but benefits were worth it. The rotational grazing system(fences and waterers were great probably 70-75% of out of pocket expenses and really improved my operation. If you can do work yourself the programs may cover all or most of cash cost. Only do the things you would do without cost share and yyou will be super pleased. Don't chase dollars doing stuff you don't want.
    Maddog3355 and 20' like this.
  8. farmnhunt

farmnhunt Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2006
    programs to check out would include MDC, contact your PLC.
    NRCS has EQIP and CSP, what is available varies year to year and is a raking process to get in.
    Soil and Water Conservation Districts have some wildlife options and lots of more agricultural improvement programs,they also rent equipment in some counties.

FSA has CRP but not many signups going on right now.You need to visit them to get your farm records up to date to participate in most of th above programs.
  9. MOBEN

MOBEN Member

Jan 9, 2008
    arbela MO
    Built a couple ponds with cost share
  10. LovinTheHuntin

LovinTheHuntin Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Mine was reenrolled in Crp cp-38. I bought the farm last Year and it just ended a total of 30 years this ground has been in crp. So now its got another 10 years.
  11. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I'm doing tsi using Mdc cost share.

I used to do the old L.A.W.S program through mdc.

I have had cp21s (filter strips) for nearly 20 years and cp33s (wildlife enhancement strips) for 13 years.

It all adds up to better habitat with either money in your pocket for the effort or less out of it if you use contractors.
  12. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter I'm not crazy, I just want it more than you.

CRP with FSA and TSI with MDC PLC