What kinda deer hunting pistol?

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by Vector, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    My brother is going to buy a pistol for deer hunting in the near future. I'm trying to help him out with options.

I've got a S&W 686P that I love to carry hunting (but have not shot a deer with it yet), and I'm thinking about getting him set up with something similar. I've been thinking about looking at a Taurus, just to shave a little cost off of the purchase.

I'm QUITE sure that he is going to end up with a revolver with a fairly long (but less than 10") barrel. Semi-autos are out, because a factory job is not going to do what we want it to.

What do you all think?

I'm also swaying towards a .357 since he can shoot the .38's for cheap.

Any input is appreciated. Anything wrong with a Taurus?

Parker

2. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    I lean strongly towards the .44 Magnum, specifically, the Ruger Redhawk. I don't much care for the Super Redhawk, but it's scopeable, right out of the box, as are some models of the regular Redhawk. Mine shoots really well, with the 240 Hornady XTP bullet, which is what I would recommend, for penetration and expansion, can't beat them.
    I have killed deer with a Super Blackhawk, with a short custom barrel, and 200 grain pre-XTP bullets, but it didn't work so hot, no penetration to speak of, I got really lucky on the first shot, and stopped it from running off, but it wasn't a killing shot. I don't want to do that again.
    If the .44 is too much, then the .41 Mag. or .45 Colt, loaded stiff, would be second choice, for me. I don't see the need for the .454, .460, .480 or .500s, for a whitetail deer, though I'm not too comfortable with a .357, either, I don't think the necessary penetration is there, for a less than perfect shot. I like iron sights on a handgun, scopes are awkward to mount and use, most of the time, and practically impossible to holster correctly. Gimme a good holster gun, a handgun oughta be HANDY. I liked the Super Blackhawk, but the good bullets weren't available at the time I had it. I also prefer about a 5.5" barrel, for holster use.

3. Mrwonderful

Mrwonderful New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    I Have a SW 686 stainless with a 8 3/8 barrel

It is a 357 mag. I was naping underneath a tree about 20 years ago (to much diet pepsi the night b4) I was suddenly awakened by something creating a ruckus in my space-It was a 6 point buck that jumped over me in a moment of alarm.

I was in a position that it was nessecary to defend myself. I lauched a 158 grain hand loaded projectile in the direction of the offender. At 10 ft sideways the offending party went flop as it hit the ground. The bullet went from the near side of the chest cavity to the far side and made a neat little bulge on the far side. Perfect all of the energy was exspended on the object that alarmed me.

After examing the beast and recovering the perfectly exspanded bullet it was the time for some more diet pepsi.

Thought you might enjoy that true story.
    :wave:

4. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

45 long colt,,,,,,,,,,,,just cause I killed my first beer can with one. They got alittle pop if ya load em right.

:cheers::cheers:

5. semodeerhunter

semodeerhunter New Member

Dec 25, 2002
    perryville mo
    When we had our gun shop we used to stock Taurus and never had any problems with them.

6. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

I prefer the Smith & Wessons..44 mag.. Rugers is good too I like the 357 because you canshoot 38s & I have killed a deer with the 357 ( I shot it in the head) but it was a ddoe& if he were to see Biggn I'd want all the knock down power possible

just my 2 cents

7. Dave160&2/8

Dave160&2/8 Guest

I use a 44 magnum with a 10 inch barrel with a burris scope and man does it work perfectly. I have heard many people who hunt with a 357 and have had some issues with hitting deer and not killing them. I can't say for myself but if I were going with a hunting pistol I would want one that would leave no doubt whether or not my pistol will kill the animal I am shooting at. Best of luck and believe you me when you knock that first deer with a pistol it is a rush to have killed with a pistol.

8. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    44's out to 100 yds if you can hold it steady. .357's are good for close in range under 50 yards. I used to own a Ruger Super Blackhawk and made a 1 shot kill at 65 steps with it.

9. buckarooboy

buckarooboy New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Hunting Handgun

I use a S&W 686 PP. This gun has a 6" barrel and with a scope is an excellent hunting gun. I would agree that 100 yards is too far to kill a deer, but I have good accuracy and energy at 50 yards. Good luck.

10. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Here's what I'm thinking about going with in the 8 3/8" barrel: Any comments about this gun?

A well-deserved reputation for outstanding strength, reliability, and accuracy. The mighty Raging Bull™ Model 444 chambers the popular .44 Magnum. A double-lockup cylinder assures strength where needed on this powerful hunter. Scope mount bases are available to match the 6-1/2 and 8-3/8 inch barrel lengths. The Raging Bull features factory porting and the Taurus Security System. All Raging Bulls carry the Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy. The Model 444 Raging Bull holds 6 rounds and features the Taurus Security Sysytem, yoke detent and full length ejector rod.

Parker

11. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    The MSRP on this Taurus is about $100 cheaper than a Ruger, and $200 cheaper than a Smith.

Looking at about an 8" barrel, .44 mag, double action.

Parker

12. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Nothing wrong with the gun, but they are heavy, especially when you scope them up, and practically impossible to holster. You'll have to go with one of those chest things (yuck). The guns are good, though. I'd favor the 6.5", but if you're scoping it, you might as well go for the whole hog. See if you can find a gunbearer or some wheels or something for it. Heck, I don't even much like the 7.5" barrel on my Redhawk, but it was my late brother's, so I'm not messing around with it, and anyways, it shoots really well. I think Mrwonderful made the case for the .44 real nice, no exit wound, even at 10 feet! With the low power of any pistol, exit wounds that leak lots of blood are really important to finding the deer.

13. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Thanks glen.....I appreciate your comments and good points.

:wave:

Parker

14. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I had that "URGE" to pistol hunt a few years back Parker. I did a lot of research on different makes and calibers and narrowed it down to and bought the Ruger Redhawk in the .44 Mag with a 7 1/2 inch barrel Blued finish. I bought an Uncle Mikes shoulder holster that carries the pistol just to the left side of your heart tucked under your left arm for a right hand shooter. I put a Burris pistol scope I believe in the 2 - 6 power. With factory loads it kept a 1 1/2 inch group at 50 yds with 6 shots. I'm sure it could do better with hand loads and a different shooter (LOL). I was spoiled by my .243 deer rifle with the dropping power. I had taken over 70 deer with it over the years and they all dropped in their tracks after the shot. The first time I shot at a deer it was 45 yards broadside and I was sitting at the base of a tree with the pistol double gripped resting on my elbows between my knees. Very stable shooting position. I squeezed of a shot with the cross hair just an inch behind its shoulder. It ran off about 50 yards and stopped and just stood there. I thought I had missed since it ran off????:confused: It stood there and slowly just layed down just like it was going to take a nap. I walked down to where it had been standing when I shot. It looked like someone had taken a 5 gallon bucket of blood and walked along pouring it on the ground until they reached where the deer lay. The bullet had passed completely through the deer and putting a 2 inch hole through its heart. Each deer that I took after that did the same thing. My ex-wife had bought the gun for me for my birthday and after our split I hated that gun so I sold it. Sort of wish I would of kept it tho. I miss the power trip it gave me. I would stay away from the .357 but that is just my opinion.

15. X Bow T

X Bow T Original Cafe'Member

Nov 21, 2002
    N & S of the MO
    Big Deer Need Big Guns. .44 is good enough for the young ones. .480 is better and the 500 should knock 'em off their feet. :dancin: That's what I like to see.

16. T- Bone

T- Bone New Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Wayne County Iowa
    I have a taurus 44 mag in the rageing bull series with a 4 inch barrel i really like it.

17. If you want my 2 cents.

If you keep the range to 50 yards and use good ammo (jacketed soft points or hard cast lead; no hollow points) and practice, practice, practice, the 357 will be fine. I use a .44 Mag single action or a .357 S&W 586 when deer hunting when you can touchem.

18. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    So happened my son and I went out to the range today to shoot handguns and we had a S&W 686 with a 8 3/8 in barrel in 357 cal. I consider myself to be a novice pistol shooter and was amazed with my ability to shoot the S&W. The single action trigger was short and crisp. The factory adjustable sight was clearly visible(very unusual that I can see pistol sights) and the weight made recoil very managable. I believe I could easily kill a deer at around 35 yds with only a little more practice.

I think this is a very user friendly pistol and frankly see no reason to hang a scope on it if you hunt in timber.

As far as a choice between a Smith and a Tarus the difference is quality which,in my mind translates to smoothness.:mad2::mad2:

19. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    Get an Thompson Center encore pistol, with the fifteen inch heavy barrel, get it chambered in 30-30 or some other configuration, and you will be able to take deer at 100 yds, with the right rest. Pistols, in Missouri, cannot be over 15" in barrel length...so, you are good to go.

20. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

Get ya one of these babies...
    It's a .500 Smith & Wesson...