Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Former Chicken Man
20,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right at sunset I was bringing Athena in and a small flock of geese flew over the house. All I saw was silhouettes since it was close to dark, but they looked to be just a bit bigger than Mallards and their necks weren't long at all. Their honks had a cadence similar to Canada, though higher pitched, and wasn't broken up like Snows.
From that description, can you tell me what I saw? :thinking::shrug:

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
probably some cacklers cool little geese

·
King of Callaway
42,812 Posts
Agreed Cacklers, pretty much a mni-canada

·
11,357 Posts
I had to look up the difference. Here is a picture of a canada and a cackler for comparison

[file]83132[/file]

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
Under what limit do the cakkle geese fall under out of quriosity?

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
Its a canada goose,just a sub species is all. Quite few subspecies out there. Goose killa would be the best to describe all that though.

·
Lunch break commander
8,419 Posts
I would have just thought it was a young canada

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
Richardson's. You can check the tail feathers to see if they are a young bird or adult.

·
11,357 Posts
[rquote=1502218&tid=104815&author=Pastor]I would have just thought it was a young canada[/rquote]

Same for me and I have even hunted canada's before. Glad someone asked because I learened something today:2thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
Most all birds have difference to them hands down. I cal see the way a duck is flyin or how the group is flyin and tell ya what it is from a distance. Also can just pick out the drakes too. All ducks even sound different,not all ducks quack. Some whistle some yodel some sound like bears growling too.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
First time I killed a Richie (at Swan Lake many many moons ago) I thought I had shot a very young Canada. It was back in the 1 goose limit days and to be honest I kind of felt ripped off! The thing was only about 3 pounds. Caught some crap from my brothers in the blind. It all changed when we went to check in our birds and the guy on duty told us that it was indeed a fully mature goose. Another way to tell is the bill size and shape. Richie's are smaller and more narrow.
Tater

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Canadian Mallards, they are bout the same size as a greenhead.
Tater, it was a smaller target, you shot better than they did! :D

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Do they travel in groups kind of like snows but with faster wing beats? that same night I was driving home and sawa group of what looked like snow geese from a distance, but the wing beats were too fast and they were moving to fast. they were dark but couldn have been caused by the time and distance.

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
No lessers are lessers and richies are richies. There's also rochester giants and giant candads and braynts too. There are like s species of canadas.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts