What Is "Too Much Gun"?

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by sand_manms, Apr 23, 2006.

1. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    What is your idea of too much gun for the animal hunted. Now I am not talking about using 300 mags for tree rats, but if you are like me you know hunters who buy the biggest baddest magnums and can't hit the side of a barn because of flinch.
    I myself do not like all these loudenboomers and will not shoot anything over a 308. But where I live that is more than enough.

2. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Hard to say. I shoot a 7mm mag which some people claim is too big for whitetails. My dad shoots a .243 which some people will claim is too small for whitetails. You can't win for losing. It's a personal preference. Shoot what is comfortable and shoot it ACCURATELY.

3. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

yep

4. MO Boy

MO Boy New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    pettis county
    This is something that drives me nuts. You read a lot in the hunting magazines about hunting with the biggest calibers out there. I seen an article the other day in a magazine about hog hunting. They had a little part about calibers and they were talking about .300's, .338's and even .416's. And the bullets absolutely had to be Barnes, Nosler Partition, or some other fancy high dollar bonded bullet.I was shocked to say the least. Some guy will show up to hunt hogs with his new latest, greatest ultra mag and not be able to shoot it because he is afraid of the recoil. Or he shows up and says he hasn't shot it but the guy at cabelas bore sighted it so it is dead on. ( Mainly because his buddies said he would never notice the recoil shooting at an animal.) All because that is what they said in this one article. Them types are out there. I know for a fact that a .44 special with a semi-wadcutter, plain old lead bullet put behind the shoulder will drop a hog within 20 yards. There are a lot of good calibers people overlook because of these type of articles. I'm not saying people shouldn't own or shoot these types of guns, I just think a lot of guys and gals start with rifles, and shotguns, that are too much and it leads to problems. That .308 that you shoot is honestly all a guy needs for deer and probably most everything else in north america, because it is a caliber you can shoot comfortably and know the bullet is going where it needs to. And as everyone knows, shot placement is key.

:soapbox::rotfl::rotfl:

MO Boy:wave:

5. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I have always used the same .243 rifle since the early 70's and have taken many a deer. I know exactly where my bullet will hit within a half an inch. Confidence in your gun is 99% of the hunt. Just this past year I had purchased a 30-06 for possible future elk hunting out west. I consider the 30-06 a bit to much gun for whitetail. But just to build up my confidence in the gun I used it to take my avatar buck last season. Now I know that it will shoot straight and hit where the crosshairs are placed. Since I reload all my shells I know that I can acheive the best grouping with any caliber that I have. As Mo Boy said....Shot Placement Is The Key.

6. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    I personally don't see anything wrong with shooting any caliber for deer if you can shoot that particular gun and caliber accurately. I like big bullets period. I shoot 460-495gr bullets in my muzzleloaders and I often use a 8mm Mauser round with 200gr bullets. Hittin' the right spot as said before is the key.

Jack

7. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    4 words...

To Each His Own..

or a longer version in 8 words...

Its all in the eyes of the beholder...

8. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    don't think you can be overgunned as far as the game you hunt. the hunter is the only thing in the equation that can be overgunned.

9. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    i also shoot a 7mm R.M. and i don't feel over gunned. could i shoot something less potent, yea but i got a deal and a half on it so that's what i shoot. i don't worry so much about what gun a person takes to the woods with him as i do about what attitude he takes into the woods with him. what ever weapon you choose, just be educated and experianced with it and we'll all be fine.

10. caf4

caf4 Active Member

Feb 26, 2004
    St. Charles, MO
    I'll stick with my .270 for deer and .22 mag for varmints...

11. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
  12. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    "Authorization Required"

Can't open it.

13. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Did you get the username and password?

14. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    yeah, it popped up asking me that

15. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Just click on ok, it should open.

16. doublelung

doublelung New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Years ago I bought a 7mm thinking that if I ever got to go west I wouldn't have to buy another gun. A few years later I got invited to Texas to hunt. When we went to the range prior to hunting the gun was off (I guess the airline was a little ruff). I had to shoot about a box and a half of shells to get it back on and the recoil beat my shoulder pretty good. I am now a little older, got a little more $ and shoot a 270 when deer hunting. I still have the 7mm but will save it in hopes of that trip west.

17. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    it appears there have been some views since I posted last.