What is this???

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by beardsNspurs78, Jan 11, 2018.

1. beardsNspurs78

beardsNspurs78 Active Member

May 24, 2008
    Philly, MO
    I've been gettin pics of this deer all summer. He disappeared for a month or so and has now been back the last few weeks. I never noticed anything wrong with him until the other day when I saw he was carrying his back foot. I went back and looked at pics throughout the summer and he's been doing it all this time. His foot looks worse in recent pics than the pics this past summer. What the heck is this?

Attached Files:

2. booner

booner Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Hard to say for sure, but just looks swollen. I seen a buck killed a few years back that was limping and had a similar swollen foot, near as we could tell it had jabbed a stick/big thorn from a locust or some other tree up in by its hoof and could not it get it out thus it got infected/irritated and swollen. That we be my guess for your buck as well.

UrbanHunter likes this.

3. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    Front hooves are messed up to. Could be a EHD survivor.

Huntingfuul and WBF like this.
  4. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Thinking the same thing. I've seen where the hooves were in different stages of sloughing off . Had an agent look at it and was told it was ehd related.

5. wingman

wingman Active Member

May 30, 2012
    Could have broken it and it is healed up crooked and calcified over into that lump.

6. txcobowhunter

txcobowhunter Deer Gear Collecter

Oct 5, 2008
    Texas County
    Looks like one of the dew claws is missing.

7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister Senior Hunter

Looks like you have daytime photos with 3 days left. Kill him and find out!

Muzzy-83 likes this.
  8. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Fronts look normal to me. My GUESS is he has an injury (thorn etc) or is a sign of EHD that does effect the hooves of deer but not likely in my opinion. One pic shows his one "toe" is longer than normal but that happens when it isn't subject to the wear and tear of normal use in walking. I'd suggest set out a few extra cameras in his roaming area to keep in touch with his progress through the winter months. He looks healthy otherwise.

9. Ringer

Ringer Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Mid MO
    Looks like an injury to me and it could be from anything I suppose. Thorn, bullet, hung in a fence, broken. ETC.

DCSarchette likes this.
  10. farmnhunt

farmnhunt Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    Hung in fence, would be m guess.

11. Muzzy-83

Muzzy-83 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Adair Co
    Probably a bad case of gout, I feel your pain

rat likes this.
  12. Gmann

Gmann Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Allen, TX
    Deer I killed this year had the same thing on one of it's front legs, right about the hoof. One side was normal and the other side was about 1/2" long. Swollen like a baseball. Our group also killed several other deer that had hooves messed up, curled out 90°. From what I've read, this is the most common effect of deer that survive EHD. All deer we killed we healthy and moving just fine, except for the one I killed which had a bad limp.

13. beardsNspurs78

beardsNspurs78 Active Member

May 24, 2008
    Philly, MO
    I've hunted this place umpteen times this season and have yet to lay eyes on him. When I've gotten him on camera he's always with one of two other bucks...sometimes both. Night before last both of those other deer made appearances in the cornfield I was hunting.....this guy did not. Getting closer though.....twice when I was in different stands he walked by a camera in daylight. I'm extremely gifted at picking the wrong stand to hunt in.

When I noticed this and went back and checked earlier pics it seems the swelling has gotten worse when compared to then and now. I dont know what the heck is goin on with his one "toe" as all I can really see is one. He definitely had this though during the rack growing season so I'm kind of surprised his rack isn't funky but it looks to be almost perfectly symmetrical. Excited to see what next year might bring. Unless he ends up in my freezer I sure hope he makes it.

DCSarchette likes this.
  14. CamoNinja

CamoNinja Member

Jun 15, 2017

Maybe he's just a pimp.