What is the best GPS out there?

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear (General)' started by Rebel2, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Rebel2

Rebel2 New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Doing lots of travelling these days so looking for a GPS, would nice if portable in the sense can move from one vehicle to another.

I know zilch about em..

2. Grumpy

Grumpy New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Central MO
    Reb you can move any of them from one car to another they just plug in cig lighter recptical. As far as a good one I don't know what's best. I have a Garmin and like it.

3. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

If and when I git one it'll be a Garmin!!:wave:

4. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    You can spend about as much as you want on them....some do live traffic updates, some have mp3 players....

I'd just buy the cheapest that shows you street/road names and gives you turn by turn directions. Don't spend too much money in my opinion. One thing to look for is how much updates cost.....I bought the cheapest one that gives turn by turn directions but it didn't come with any update so when it gets out of date (which it already has to some degree) I have to pay 70 bucks to update it. It might be that you can spend just a bit more than I did and get a free update...not sure you'll need to research some.

garmin.com

5. I've got a tom tom and a guy at work has the garmin. The garmin is definately the better of the two.

6. Outlaw 101st

Outlaw 101st New Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Elkhart Indiana
    Garmin Etrex... they rock $100.00

7. Grumpy

Grumpy New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Central MO
    I believe the Garmin Etrex is a handheld GPSr and not one for the car.

8. Landlover

Landlover Active Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    If you have an iPhone, I would get Navigon. I have it and love it. IMO much better than a stand alone gps. A lot of addresses I tried to look up with my Nuvi and in my wife's GM gps wouldn't work. I can Google an address with Navigon and it come up with it everytime. It has text to speech and reroutes super fast.

9. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I just use my iPhone and Google Maps. It puts me within 30' of where I am. I like it and it's free!

10. 160983

160983 Guest

Garmin. Had a tomtom before and the garmin is better. I forget what the feature is called but it will zoom in on what lane you need to be in on large freeways. It was a lifesaver when working and traveling in southern california.:02:

11. Rebel2

Rebel2 New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [rquote=1894381&tid=131948&author=Landlover]If you have an iPhone, I would get Navigon. [/rquote]

I do have an Iphone...however one never knows when I might loose phone, drop it, break it etc.. or even switch

So i want a stand alone unit

So, seems Garmin is what I need to look fo?