What is everyone's plans for Turkey Season

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by 20', Jan 19, 2018.

1. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    While I really enjoy turkey hunting I can get my fill with the IL Youth, MO youth and 3 weeks of MO season, not to mention youth baseball is in full force. So other than the IL youth I won't be traveling elsewhere.

I enjoy watching the turkey kills accumulate after the MO season ends and some before it begins. What is everyone's plans? Anyone going after the SLAM

Also, what season starts the earliest?

Cheers to some hooks being killed!

DCSarchette likes this.
  2. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    Depending on the timing of my breaks from school....which are not looking good as we will be having snow make-up days, I may try an early archery Nebraska hunt. Outside of that will be Kansas and Missouri. I am also putting in for a very difficult to draw New Mexico Unit which would quickly become the focal point of my entire season and would be a bucket list item if drawn, but highly unikely.
    Other than that, I have a Missouri Youth already lined up to take since my own kid is no longer eligible. Will says he wants to hunt on his own mostly this year and I totally respect that, so I guess we will see how well he has been paying attention for the past several years.

Pastor, tcwild, fullfan and 2 others like this.

3. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2006
  4. flatlander_

flatlander_ Really? Show me. .

I plan on shooting a couple turkeys here in Missouri and hopefully get my nephew on his first bird.

That's all. :)

Hooks likes this.
  5. Maddux

Maddux It's Da Debil

Aug 27, 2009
    Dallas County
    I'm going to take my boy to get his second turk this year and I'll go shoot one in the face, maybe 2 if I have time. I'll probably take the wife out opening day. Usually try to go once with a buddy to shoot doubles. I love eating them and like hunting them but it's not something I would probably every go out of state to do. Not saying it wouldnt be fun but I would rather save that goodwill up for something that has some hornature on it's head.

Hooks and 20' like this.
  6. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    KS & MO for me. One of these years I'll get of mu azz and do an OOS trip for a different species, most likely when Red is outta HS so I don't miss any ball games.

HarvDog, Hooks and 20' like this.
  7. DCSarchette

DCSarchette Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2016
    Bland, Mo.
    I have never left state to hunt anything. Had a brother that lived in Montana for 23 years, and was always asking me to come hunt bears, moose, elk, muley, antelope, etc., not to mention the fishing. He had sections and sections, and in one area a friend of his had a "section of sections" to hunt. (yes 640x640 acres) Didn't need a place to stay (he lived there), nor a guide (he knew all the areas well).Was always to busy, he has since moved back home years ago, and passed on. There is a word called "hindsight". You younger guys try to avoid this as much as you can in your futures, by using foresight. That being said, guess i will just attempt to end the career of a couple ol Gasconade county ridge runners, hopefully dragging a pony tail, and tripping over hooks.

Dafish, BC-Buck, sharps4590 and 2 others like this.
  8. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter I'm not crazy, I just want it more than you.

If I had no desire to ever hunt whitetail ever again, Montana would be the first state I would move to.

KingCoal1 and DCSarchette like this.
  9. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter I'm not crazy, I just want it more than you.

I will be staying in MO. Too much food plotting to do and want to get the wife her 2 birds again. Will have my hands full with all of that.

Hooks and DCSarchette like this.
  10. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Haven't been Turkey Hunting for years. If I'm up to it I might go to Warsaw. Turkey Hunting and Fishing.

oneshot

:D the Big Grin might go to Warsaw.

11. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I'm gonna buy a crossbow so I can kill a bearded hen. Fingers crossed!

HarvDog, STTH, henry and 8 others like this.
  12. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    serious ambition right there!!

rat likes this.
  13. bassbuster83

bassbuster83 Active Member

Nov 5, 2005
    IMPERIAL
    Hunt first week in Missouri then head to Nebraska for 3 days then hopefully finish season with getting my gf her first bird .

14. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I dont half-azz nothin :D

20' likes this.
  15. tcwild

tcwild Junior Member

Oct 16, 2013
    holden,mo
    The ways the season timing is the first week of Mo will be a busy one. Hopefully bust one here on Monday then head to Ks Tues to spend the rest of the week. Hope to find some crappies dumb enough to swallow my minnow and find afew pounds of shrooms. Praying the ticks don't find my junk tasty.

Hooks likes this.
  16. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Try to get out for my traditional 1 day and maybe 2.

17. CuivreDog2

CuivreDog2 Habitat Junkie

Mar 27, 2010
    Lincoln County, MO
    No.....................serious ambition would be two bearded hens! :scared:

18. DCSarchette

Oct 6, 2016
    Bland, Mo.
    Nawwwww---2 multi bearded hens

19. DCSarchette

Oct 6, 2016
    Bland, Mo.
    with hooks, a deep yelp, you know a couple katelyn hens

20. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Think I'll just walk around and mushroom hunt with my gun and camo on. If I find a bird, so be it.....

tcwild and DCSarchette like this.