What is an entry level mule deer "trophy"

Discussion in 'Out of State Hunts, Stories & Pics' started by Curtis, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

This is a relatively subjective question from what I understand. :thinking:

I'm trying to plan a DIY hunt for next fall (probably in Wyoming) and would like to find an area that has some decent deer in it. I certainly don't expect anything next year but it would be nice to know that you can go back several times and one of those times you're going to get something worthy of putting on the wall. Afterall, if you wanted to shoot a small buck you might as well just buy a doe tag cause they're a lot cheaper :whistle:

I concider a nice little 8 point, 120-125", spread right at the ears whitetail a mountable deer for someone who has not got one that big before.

What does that equal to in a mule deer? Does a 20" spread 4x4 qualify or that even too big? Can it be a 3x3? I don't know...but it needs to be worth the 400 dollar taxidermy fee.

What in your opinion is a just a good overall representation of an entry level mule deer mountable trophy?

thanks

2. ryanlowe02

ryanlowe02 Sexual Intellectual

Aug 11, 2007
    Raymore, MO
    mule deer on average have wider and taller racks, based on that fact you may find a really cool looking 130-140" deer that may not be a giant to some folks out west but the characteristic of the rack will make it look very unique compared to a local whitetail......

i know if i shoot a mule deer its getting mounted, would love to have one on the wall

3. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Man, that is a question only the hunter can answer....

For me, it'd have to be a 4x4 with some decent mass, and a 23-24" spread......

But, every person has their own interpretations.....

I passed on a decent 3x3 with my bow in 05, cause he just wasn't quite big enough. But, I have seen some pics of very nice 3x3's that I would a shot with my bow.:shrug:

4. Spartan46

Spartan46 New Member

Probably not much help but I:D think "Trophy" is in the eye of the beholder.

5. sambo3006

sambo3006 Active Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Christian County
    I'd consider a 3x3 or bigger as wide as the ears and proportionate height worth the taxidermy bill. But as Spartan46 said above, what ever trips your trigger. I killed a 4x3 last year that was kind of narrow so I didn't have it mounted, just did the antlers. That worked out great. Nice buck and no taxi bill.:eek::

6. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

150+ is a darn nice muley!!! I would equate that to a 130 class whitetail!!!:cheers::wave:

7. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Here is my first and only mule deer. He measures right at 146 inches. I wasn't going to have him mounted but my hunting buddies talked me into it. Glad I did now because who knows when I'll ever go kill another one.

[file]153114[/file]

[file]153112[/file]

8. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

[rquote=1927238&tid=129936&author=sambo3006]I'd consider a 3x3 or bigger as wide as the ears and proportionate height worth the taxidermy bill. [/rquote]

After looking at some pictures, I'm thinking the same thing. As Archer (who btw shot a very good one imo) said, you never know when you're getting back out there again.

9. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    curtism, you'll know when you see him! Good luck!:cheers::cheers::cheers: