Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Addicted Habitat Junkie/Duck Whore
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
......to be turkey hunting this morning!

Was over at the kennel building about 6:30 am to feed/air the dogs and get started for the day. First group of dogs out of the building and I'm standing out there just listening to the gobblers hammering away......and I mean hammering away. From 6:30 until just coming back over to the house now, I don't think I went more than a 5 minute span without a turkey gobble. Single gobbles, double gobbles, triple gobbles, so damn many gobbles I couldn't even count.

Was still going on when I just came back over to the house.

Would have been a fine day to be in the woods!

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,029 Posts
Well, it’s got to at least be nice to sit and listen. Good habitat, you have the birds. 👍🏻

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I always have said the season needs to be a week later but I’m not in southern Missouri either, it might hurt the hunters down that way. Around here the first part of the season the turkeys are all bunched up.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
In a perfect world it would be a week earlier. But, I’ve resigned myself to that never happening because the “smart people” in charge say it won’t. But a later season then sure the damm he!! better never happen.
Freaking MI, MN , and WI have seasons that start as early or before MO for the love of Christ.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Can’t imagine a later season in southern MO. Already mostly done by late second week. Next to more turkeys, Spilt season would be ideal.
What would you say if I said I bet I could call in and video a bird in the morning?
Southwest Missouri.
This week has always been on fire. Second week of season has also been traditionally bad for me, but those birds that are hard to deal with during the season can be called in right now.

·
14,445 Posts
I heard them gobbling Thursday while fishing on the river.
It's usually good hunting in mid-May in central Kansas

·
Super Moderator
25,573 Posts
What would you say if I said I bet I could call in and video a bird in the morning?
Southwest Missouri.
This week has always been on fire. Second week of season has also been traditionally bad for me, but those birds that are hard to deal with during the season can be called in right now.
I agree, this week a fella could stack them up

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,029 Posts
They were gobbling like crazy by the golf course all weekend. ⛳

·
just a no body
15,517 Posts
wife's working from home now and so yesterday I go onto the front porch with my coffee. GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE!! I went inside to ask my wife if she heard that and she said yes because he's 10 feet outside of her "office" window. We then watch this F'r walk around our yard all within 25 yrds of the house for 15-20 minutes. We have 160 acres and she hunted hard I really giver her credit and not once had a Gobble near her or saw a beard on our place..a week later and this. Our only conclusion is that the Turkey Gods hate us.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts