Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ex B-I-L Alan came down to MO from WI to deer hunt with my kids and I last November but wasn't having much luck. The first weekend my son and I bagged a pair of nice 9 pointers and my daughter got herself a fat doe and although he was seeing a lot of deer he just couldn't connect on one. So during the middle of the week, early one morning, we decided that he would sit on the south end of a creek that passed through the land I had leased,and I would sit on the north end. Around 11:00am I would slowly meander through the creek bottom and try to push something his way. About half way through my walk I spotted something odd in the creek and went to investigate it. I was very supprised to find two bucks,a 12 and an 8 point locked together. They were both dead and I guess had been there about a week or so. The smell was strong and the coyotes had them pretty well chewed up. I went and got Alan and we tried to cut off the heads with a large knife he had in his truck but that wouldn't work. So we decided to go to the closest town and buy a saw. While we were there I sugjested we get a bite to eat before we go back. Here's some friendly advice. Don't eat a meal before you want to start hacking off the heads of partly decomposed animals. I found out very soon why puking is sometimes called "losing your lunch". Here's some pics.

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Pretty cool find, but it sure sucks to see that happen

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Very sweet find!!
:cheers::cheers:

What did you do with them???

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Years ago,when I was a kid my Dad and I would go fishing on a lake near where he grow up. One time on the way back home we had to stop at an old friend of my Grandfathers for some reason that I don't recall. The old gent asked us to come into his home and the first thing I noticed was that he had sevearl deer antlers mounted on the walls. In two of the opposite corners of the room were two sets of mounted locked bucks. One buck on each wall in a corner facing each other in two different corners. Even at that young of an age I knew finding a set of locked bucks was rare and here this old guy found two sets of them. He told me he found them when he worked in the lumber camps in northern WI as a young man. You could tell that they were very old mounts. Years later I went to the Wisconsin Buck Expo in Madison and this old gents grandson had them on display. Since then I had dreamed that if I was ever that lucky I would mount my find the same way. After I cut off the heads of the above deer I took them to the reginal DOC in St. Joe and recieved a recovery tag for them. I then took them to the local taxidermist and told him what I wanted. He told me he would have to custom make forms and quoted me a price of $900.00. Way too much for me to afford, so I just settled on a european style skull mount and they now sit on the mantle above my fireplace. I figure if I ever win the lottery I can always get them mounted later.

I agree that I would of rather had my ex B-I-L or my daughter tag one or both of these bucks but I still consider myself very lucky to have found them.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
pretty awsome find sucks but awsome to find

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
man...how long are the tines on the big one?

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Originally posted by Hoytshooter
Exactly what I was thinkin...be fun to measure him!!!!!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by fireman_3311
Originally posted by Hoytshooter
Exactly what I was thinkin...be fun to measure him!!!!!
I think the pictures give the impression that they are bigger than what they really are. I did some ruff measuring and this is what I got. The inside spread on the 12 is only 13 6/8. The 8 is 15 2/8. I couldn't decide how to measure the forked G-2 on the left antler of the 12. It's either 7 3/8 or 11 6/8 depending on which way you think the main tine goes. The G-3's measure 10 2/8 on the right and 10 4/8 on the left. The main beams run 19 on the right and 21 on the left. I'm not sure if I did it right but I came up with a final score of 124 for the 12 and 98 for the 8. I'm sure it's hard to guess just looking at the pics. But I'm curious what you guys think.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
I really like how the euro mounts turned out!!
:cheers::cheers:

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
nice find there:cheers:

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
WHat a find!!!!!!!!!! One in a thousand.....no one in ten thousand!!!

I would not mind finding that on my place.......awsome

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Fantastic find and the end results are awesome :cheers:

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
I'm guessing on the scoring that they may be a little higher scoring than that, unless the pictures REALLY make them look bigger. Either that or there are a ton of deductions on that 12.
On a find like that score is irrelevant anyway! That's something that doesn't get found too often. I'd get excited if I found to little basket racked 6 pointers locked up!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.