Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· 2 Corinthians 5:10
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 10a of expired crp that has grown up in undesirable trees, brush. It's so dense I don't find any deer beds in this spindly stand. Just deer trails.
What herbicide, and how would you apply to kill it off?
I can't get a tractor in there, so it'll be backpack spraying, but would you do foliar, soil treatment, etc.
I was thinking foliar spray with gly or crossbow. .am I thinking right?
Cloud Sky Plant Twig Branch

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Fire??

Reactions: Tbones and Big L

· Registered
32,087 Posts
10 acres is a lot of backpack spraying. Hope you don't have to carry the water far.
Do you know what kind of trees those are? It is going to be tough to kill with glypho any that are too tall to reach all the leaves.
I haven't used crossbow but I thought it was used to spray on the trunk in winter. Anyway, i think that is what I would do.
With 10 acres you have plenty to experiment on. Please share your experiences.

1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have some leftover crossbow and remedy ultra that I used for basal treatment on some shag bark hickory, but thought it would work in foliar treatment.
I think these are prickly Ash? They been that size for a couple years or more. Might need my plc out to educate me before I waste time and chemical...

· Registered
33,467 Posts
I'd not use expensive herbicide until I identified the target species.
Regardless, that's gonna be a chore to back pack spray... like Trap said, just getting water in there is going to suck if you can't get an ATV/UTV in there.
Most basal treatments should be done in fall/spring I think (depending on species and chemical).
Cutting and treating with tordon would work, but will be a chore as well.... I'd buy a lot of beer and invite a few extra hands if I was going that route.
One of the mist sprayer/blowers might be the best way to go and cover a big area in a short time, again depending on tree species and chemical needed.

1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have dozed it when I did the other 49a, but my eyes were already beginning to water at the price tag... I can do a couple acres at a time, no need to do it all at once. Really wanted a herbicide I could foliar spray and see what the results would be doing that first.

1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
April 6, 2019

· Addicted Habitat Junkie/Duck Whore
3,881 Posts
Absolutely the best idea yet!

A warm season growing fire will knock our all the woody vegetation due to it's relatively small size, be a whole lot less labor intensive than spraying ten acres with a backpack sprayer, and save you hundreds of dollars on chemicals.

NOT a dormant season fire - a fire sometime between mid July and Sept 1 so the trees do not have enough time to send up root sprouts to carry it through the winter.

· Registered
21,512 Posts
I'm thinking cut a road to it and Brush Hog first before anything. Done this with many small fields, lots of work but worth it.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin can watch all day.

1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's another couple pics, on the North and East it's has hardwoods timber, so fire is not my first choice. ..I should have clarified I don't have access from my my own ground, I could likely get permission from the neighbor to access, just hate to be inconveniencing them as they run cattle.
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Twig
Plant Line Font Water Terrestrial plant

1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reactions: flatlander_

1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a good idea, now that you brought that to my attention, I'll probably start in the middle and work out

· Registered
614 Posts
I had some guys with backpack sprayers spray some areas larger than that last summer. A couple were near that height, one had been cut back with a mulching head a year prior. I actually was through there today. The one with younger vegetation got a pretty decent kill, the others not so much. They had trouble keeping track of what they hit and getting good coverage on what they did get.
From what I saw I would think about trying maybe basal spraying stuff that size or finding a way to cut it back or knock it back with fire before spraying.

15,013 Posts
If there is no access to this, how was this planted/enrolled in to the CRP in the first place? Looks like it was not maintained either.
Might think about what you are going to do with it and how you are going to do it prior to doing anything

1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
There used to be a road to it, on the South property line, but after the tornado came thru couple years back, it'd take a fair amount of chain sawing to make it usable again.
I'd like to plant some native grasses, leave the evergreens. .. Then decide what else I'd like to do.

Reactions: Dafish

1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Any Herbicide recommendations for foliar treatment? Even if I can get my utv and 40 gallon Sprayer in there, I am still wondering what herbicide would work to nuke this spindly stuff.. .Any guesses what it is?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.