What happened to him?

Discussion in 'Trail Cam Photos & Pics from the stand' started by trailblazer75, Oct 6, 2017.

1. trailblazer75

trailblazer75 Active Member

Jan 14, 2017
    What’s funny is it looked like he got shot straight in the chest and it came out to the right ribs. Not funny, but you get it.
  2. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    Deer dont have right side and left side genetics... racks like that are almost always caused by injuries.

3. manitou1

manitou1 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    The presence of an "acorn" on the deformed antler is indicant of an injury while still soft tissue. I would say that is a strong possibilty on that deer.
    trailblazer75 likes this.
  4. thwackaddict

thwackaddict Senior Member

Nov 1, 2007
    NW Missouri
    Somewhere I read in a study that bucks with a weak side usually have an opposite side weak/small testicle. They were attributing this to be a link with inbreeding. I know it happens in other domestic animals that get too inbred. (small testicles)

I approached our county CO back in the early 90's about inbreeding being a problem. We had a large share of SOOS bucks that were young. I think it may have been due to a lack of age structure understanding before AR's came along. My cousin even watched a button buck breed a doe under his stand.

I think this is the most important factor of having bucks reach maturity.... they travel and keep the gene pool fresh. So what I am suggesting is that it may be genetic related from the stand point of having a small testicle may keep one antler side weak. A beautiful rack on the back may make a beautiful rack on the front. LOL

Just adding some food for thought.
  5. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    My inclination is that it is just coincidence.