What happened to him?

Discussion in 'Trail Cam Photos & Pics from the stand' started by trailblazer75, Oct 6, 2017.

1. trailblazer75

trailblazer75 Active Member

Jan 14, 2017
    This dude has some weird character. What happens to a deer to cause things like this? Just an injury? Nutrition? How old is he? Let him walk and see how he turns out next year?

Attached Files:

2. fullfan

fullfan Active Member

Feb 23, 2016
    looks like he injured it in velvet

Bootheel Boy likes this.

3. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

More than one thing could cause that. If it's a permanent injury to the deers body it may always grow a screwed up rack. If he is mature and thats the case I would happily Shoot him. 02

4. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
  5. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Check to see if you have any other photos of him especially his front legs. Might be the way he was walking but it looks like to me his right front leg has been shot off and he is using his only front leg to walk with especially the way his left leg seems to be centered on his body to carry his weight.....or it could be that I'm all wet with my thought process. If it were missing most show deformed racks on the opposite side of the body which this is not the case if he is a tri-pod buck.....that's my thoughts and I have been wrong before. :)

DCSarchette likes this.
  6. CuivreDog2

CuivreDog2 Habitat Junkie

Mar 27, 2010
    Lincoln County, MO
    Whether to let him walk depends on where/when the injury occurred.

If he damaged the actual antler while he was in velvet he will definitely grow a "normal" antler next year so that would be a wait.

If he damaged the actual pedicle or base of where the antler grows, or the abnormality is caused by an injury somewhere on the left side of his body such as a vehicle strike or bullet wound, he will continue to grow an abnormal antler year after year.

I would wait and see if you get a broadside picture of his left side and check for any noted injuries to at least eliminate that possibility. As far as the damaged pedicle you won't know that without waiting until next year to see if he grows a normal antler. If it's normal, it was a velvet injury, if it's deformed again it's a pedicle injury.

7. trailblazer75

Jan 14, 2017
    You know, I never noticed the odd way that he carries his weight. I have a broadside shot of him making a scrape on my phone. I'll look when I get off work and try to see if that leg is present! Good thinking.

8. Sully

Sully Bait Plotter Extraordinar

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    I have got so many pics of wacky rack deer this year been thinking of renaming my properties " Goofy antler acres "

Maybe I should cut back on the amount of cannabis in my plots :guitar:

9. found some meth the junkies in the trailer up the road left in the culvert

10. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Leave it alone. They aren't likely to start trouble be stealing stuff by their stash.

trailblazer75 likes this.
  11. trailblazer75

Jan 14, 2017
    Here's another side pic. He's got four legs. [​IMG]

12. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Even with four legs showing he still looks sort of "humped up" in the photo like he has an injury somewhere. Keep digging for more photos. deer at night (2).jpg

13. trailblazer75

Jan 14, 2017
    I'll have to wait til he shows himself more. How old do you guys judge him?

14. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    3 1/2

15. trailblazer75

Jan 14, 2017
    He's made a mean new scrape right under my stand and just in front of that camera. He might get the arrow.

16. Stan The Man

Stan The Man Member

Mar 4, 2008
    My guess is that it is genetic. Thin the herd.

17. LovinTheHuntin

LovinTheHuntin Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Macon and Linn co
    I shot this one 5 years ago. When i gutted him in the field, the pelvic bone i guess it is, was almost broke all the way. I hardly had to saw the bone and it was almost liquified around the meat. When i got him hung up and skinned him down he had a bullet laying between his hide and the muscle.
    Someone had shot him the previous year and hit him on the right hind quarter. It looked to be maybe a .223 or similar as there wasnt much of a bullet left. It had broke his hip partially and over a years time it healed up and the bullet made it way back out of him.
    His rack shows the damage caused by the injury. Right side rear= left side antler to be deformed.
    Its amazing, he didnt even limp or act like hed ever been shot when insaw him cruzing for doe's.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Matthew83, deerblaster, Wibb and 2 others like this.
  18. DoubleLiver

DoubleLiver Gentry County, NE KS

Aug 20, 2015
    Dakota County, MN
    If you think he is young give him a pass and see what happens.