Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to get a good gun for my girlfriend for deer season. The past few seasons she has used my 35 rem. and she thinks it kicks too much. She is pretty small, about 5'4" (she says she's 5'4 1/2" HAHA) and only weighs about 115. What would be a good deer calibur gun for her, something that doesn't kick alot so that she won't be scared of it? I have been thinking:
7mm-08
25-06
Any other suggestions would be appreciated!!!
Thanks!! :cheers:

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
For me the .243 would be first followed by the 7mm-08 for mild recoil. If I had to choose between the two for a deer rifle, the 7mm-08.

Jack

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
How good of a shot is she in the field? I like the .243 however especially with larger deer it can be a little unforgiving if you happen to pull it a little. IMO the most forviving of the light rounds you mentioned is the 270.

Clear as mud?

·
Registered
70,521 Posts
I think the .270 would kick the most of the four mentioned. My vote is for the .243. You can get shells for it almost anywhere. 100 grain is my choice. Second choice is 7mm-08

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She is not a very good off hand shooter, but when she has a rest or tree or something to rest the gun on she does fine. I think her biggest problem is that she is scared of the recoil.

·
Registered
21,435 Posts
Another suggestion may be the .308. I've heard from many reliable sources their recoil is fine for youngsters and small framed shooters. I'd put that one up there with the 25.06 and 7mm08. I think the .270 would kick the most of them is why I didn't include that, and the .243 may be fine most of the time, but may not be enough for a huge north missouri buck. Good luck. :sniper:

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
243, 7-08, 308 in that order.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have a 7mm08 barrel on my Encore and I really like it. I shoot 140 gr. Winchester and am very pleased with the performance.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My wife shoots a Remington Model 7 in .243 and loves it. You can't go wrong with it for a shooter who has a problem with recoil. like another said the .308 is another good choice but may be a tad to much if she is as recoil shy as you describe.

·
5,632 Posts
Don't leave out the .25-06. Great little round from what I hear.

But, with the research I've done, the 7mm-08 has slightly better balistics.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I've been all over the place looking at different calibers for my lil sis to deer hunt w/ and I think I have them narrowed down to 7mm-08 or a .284 w/ a . 308 casing....

·
Former Chicken Man
20,377 Posts
Originally posted by Gamegetter
Another suggestion may be the .308. I've heard from many reliable sources their recoil is fine for youngsters and small framed shooters. I'd put that one up there with the 25.06 and 7mm08. I think the .270 would kick the most of them is why I didn't include that, and the .243 may be fine most of the time, but may not be enough for a huge north missouri buck. Good luck. :sniper:
Ditto. I like the .270 the best, but if she's that gunshy it might be too much for her. Don't gorce it on her and make her flinch.
A friend has a Remington 7400 (or is it 7600? The semi-auto one) synthetic in .308 and it's a great rifle. He shoots it very well, and he's missing both arms and one leg. He has prosthetics, but still that's pretty inpressive. :sniper:

·
just a no body
15,720 Posts
I'm suprised no one had said the 30-30 they dont kick , they kill deer., they are light & small & you can find one used for around $200+/- (i'd bet more deer are killed in Mo with that Caliber than all others combined) but they are only good to a 100-150 yrds or so. other than that I'd say 243

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.