Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far a shot size, shell length, ammunition brand, choke type (constriction size), and gauge goes? I know it has been said on here a ton but I was just wondering what everybody uses.

G

·
3in #2's, 3in BB's, or 3.5in BB

All Winchester Xpert

I like shooting mod and i shoot a 12 ga.

[Edited on 12-9-2009 by DuckHuntinMo]

·
just one of the idiots talking on MWT, right Red?
8,960 Posts
3" #2 Federal Speed Shok Steel
12 ga Beretta Pintail with a Carlson's full extended choke

·
Grrrrrrr
29,979 Posts
Winchester Drylock 3 inch 1 3/8 oz #4's thru a Benelli Montefeltro with cylinder bore choke tube.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Gun: Benelli m1 super 90 12 ga
Ammo: Hevi Metal 3" #3
Choke: Pattern Master Extended Long Range

[Edited on 12-9-2009 by huntforfunnfood]

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
whatever is cheap, when their feet are back peddlin in the decoys you don't need to break the bank for a prayer.:D

·
Registered
983 Posts
i use remington #1's 3inch nitro steels out of a 870 with a modified choke. Imo there is nothing better. If cant find the 1's i get 2's. Great for over decoys and beyond.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
3 1/2" Kent #3 1 1/8 oz @ 1625 fps or 3 1/2" Kent #2 1 1/4 oz @ 1550 fps out of a Benelli SBE. Use a factory mod most of the time…improved cylinder for the close shots when hunting our flooded timber….or a terror .675 when they just won't commit all the way to our dekes.

Before anyone tries to call me out, I shoot 3.5" cause my gun will allow me to…not to increase my range. Bigger shells don't mean longer range…they just give you more shot at the same velocity, or more velocity for the same shot charge. More velocity = more killing power...more shot = denser patter. Of course, it all depends on how your gun patterns them. Some 3" loads will pattern better than a 3.5" load if you put them next to each other on paper.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
bux has been used before:rof2:

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
[rquote=1503948&tid=104905&author=buxNdux]:confused:[/rquote]

on the 3.5'' debate.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Never have been "used" on the debate...just read about it all too much on other forums. Its just that a lot of public land hunters think that everyone that shoots 3.5 inch are skybusters. Not that I blame them, I've dealt with the same type of people the few times I've hunted the duck parks. A lot of people just don't understand shotshell ballistics...a lot of skybusters do think bigger shells will increase their range. I used to reload my own 3" steel loads and they were deadly. Heck, any shell is deadly if you can get them to flutter over the dekes every time, but anyone who has hunted before knows that doesn't happen every day.

:cheers:

[Edited on 12/9/2009 by buxNdux]

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
[rquote=1504004&tid=104905&author=buxNdux]Never have been "used" on the debate. Its just that a lot of public land hunters think that everyone that shoots 3.5 inch are skybusters. Not that I blame them, I've dealt with the same type of people the few times I've hunted the duck parks. A lot of people just don't understand shotshell ballistics...a lot of skybusters do think bigger shells will increase their range. I used to reload my own 3" steel loads and they were deadly. Heck, any shell is deadly if you can get them to flutter over the dukes every time, but anyone who has hunted before knows that doesn't happen every day.

:cheers:[/rquote]

understand that, heck the only reason i won't use 3.5'' shells is because i am dainty and precious and they would break me down.:D

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
[rquote=1504010&tid=104905&author=winger][rquote=1504004&tid=104905&author=buxNdux]Never have been "used" on the debate. Its just that a lot of public land hunters think that everyone that shoots 3.5 inch are skybusters. Not that I blame them, I've dealt with the same type of people the few times I've hunted the duck parks. A lot of people just don't understand shotshell ballistics...a lot of skybusters do think bigger shells will increase their range. I used to reload my own 3" steel loads and they were deadly. Heck, any shell is deadly if you can get them to flutter over the dukes every time, but anyone who has hunted before knows that doesn't happen every day.

:cheers:[/rquote]

understand that, heck the only reason i won't use 3.5'' shells is because i am dainty and precious and they would break me down.:D[/rquote]

:cheers:

·
Registered
273 Posts
I shoot a 12ga citori so I have two chokes. :D

All shells are win. xpert or remington sportsman steel

For ducks in my 12ga I shoot cyl/skeet chokes(factory) and 2.75" 1oz #6 at 1300 fps and 3" #4 1 1/8oz loads at 1550

If I am in woods or sloughs I will use my 410 with 3" 3/8oz #6 steel at 1400fps with a full choke

For geese out of 12ga I shoot 3.5" BB 1 3/8oz 1550fps with mod/imp mod chokes(factory)

thanks
citori

[Edited on 12-10-2009 by citori]

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
3" Fed classic steel #2 or fiocchi steel 3" # 2 out of Imp Cyl SBE 12 ga

·
Registered
876 Posts
Ive always been a fan of 3" #3 in a 1 1/8 oz fast load but this year at the hole we tryed some 2 3/4 in #6 1 1/8 oz and they was pure death on the birds...briley ext waterfowl choke rem 1187 super mag special purpose....As far as ninjas go i use ether 3" or 3.5 " BB or BBB's out of a imp. choke

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.