What do you think of using

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Hunting' started by Pastor, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    a single shot new england shot gun with a mod barrel on it. this is for my nephew. I figured it would shoot good enough and it wouldnt allow him to just blast away. Might make the box of shells last longer. I am not expecting him to drop the whole flock. if he got a couple of birds he would be thrilled. he is only 12 and I figure it would be plenty light for him.

do you think the 3" shells would kick too much in that gun. he is pretty stout for 12

2. Rebel2

Rebel2 New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    single shots do kick like a mule

3. midmowaterfowler

midmowaterfowler New Member

Jul 26, 2010
    I started in a similar way with a single shot gun as well, it taught me to focus and pick my shots, the kick shouldnt be too much for a 12 yr old to handle if he is stout, It will help him to focus on one bird rather that getting distracted by having multiple shots if a big flock comes in, can be a problem for younger hunters and some of the veterans as well. :) but other than that good luck. hopefully he smacks a few

4. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Not worth him shooting the 3" shells, because they're going to thump him with it being a single shot.

I also think I'd rather see him shoot any other gun besides that one, because it doesn't have a safety on it. You can load one shot into any gun out there.

But, if you think he's good with that hammer gun, then it will work. You asked, so I said. :D That's the gun I shot as my first shotgun, and I'm still here.

Parker

5. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    [rquote=1876629&tid=130712&author=Parker]Not worth him shooting the 3" shells, because they're going to thump him with it being a single shot.

I also think I'd rather see him shoot any other gun besides that one, because it doesn't have a safety on it. You can load one shot into any gun out there.

But, if you think he's good with that hammer gun, then it will work. You asked, so I said. :D That's the gun I shot as my first shotgun, and I'm still here.

Parker[/rquote]

he is used to shooting a hammer gun so that isnt a problem. I would let him shoot any other gun but that is the one that I have. I will be sitting right next to him to help guide him. I am a little worried about the kick though.

6. midmowaterfowler

midmowaterfowler New Member

Jul 26, 2010
    a good thick sweatshirt can help with the kick hopefully it will be cold and hell be bundled up.