What do you like to cook when camping?

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by seth_turner_04, Nov 1, 2010.

1. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    We are heading down to Peck Ranch for our managed hunt this Thursday-Sunday. I'm planning on bringing a pot of chili for Thursday evening, grilling burgers/brats/hotdogs Friday, and frying suckers Saturday.

What do you guys like to make when you go on a camping/hunting trip?

2. Cedar Thicket

Cedar Thicket Blonde Bearded Guy

Pork Steaks
    Chili
    Brats
    Chicken and Dumplings.........

that covers My 4-days

3. woodcarver

woodcarver Active Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Smithville
  4. blevely

blevely New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Here and There
    We always have steaks, burgers and chicken for dinner meals with taters or beans as sides.

Lunches are sammich's and the oldest boy loves him some beany weenies.

5. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Anything where you open a can and dump it in the pot :thinking:

Chicken and dumpings with a can of carrots is always popular as is Dinty Moore beef stew with a can of mixed vegetables.

6. MJO21

MJO21 Active Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Union, MO
    BACON, then anything else as long as it is cooked in bacon grease!

MJO

7. When we hunted peck we always had fried deer and fried potatoes the first night. Then usually burgers and brats the second night.

8. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    T bone steaks
    Chili
    Vegetable Soup
    Burgers
    Fried fish
    hot dogs cooked over fire
    BREAKFAST

9. Mule

Mule Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    Chicken wing night
    Steak night
    Rib night

10. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    Grilled ribeye,fried fish and deer

11. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    Last year I did chili, deer steaks, and deer burgers. I think I enjoy the camp cookin part about as much as the hunting....well not quite but I do like to eat. :D

I like doing deer steaks but I haven't got a dang deer yet this year and neither has anybody who's going. :mad2:

12. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    When we hunted from deer camps breakfast was usually pretty traditional. Bacon, eggs, fried taters or flapjacks and bacon or sausage. Lunch usually wassn't eaten. Dinner could be anything. The aforementioned chili, spaghetti, (Momma makes a mean spaghetti sauce!), beef stew was a perennial favorite.

Hunting primitive from a camp, as I most often do if camping these days, it's usually parched corn or ash cakes and pemmican, breakfast and dinner. Lunch is what's handy.

13. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    hey seth, if you want some deer steaks for camp, let me know. i've got a bunch in the freezer I wont be eating (i am not a fan of deer steaks), theyre yours if you want. just send me a u2u and let me know about how many you need/want.

14. JrNation88

JrNation88 New Member

Jan 2, 2009
    BOCO
    I like to always keep it simple...very little prep, cooking time, and cleanup. So something like soup in a can, premade sandwiches, and pork skins :claphands:

15. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    When we camped we'd fry half chickens. Tasts better outdoors. That and a can of Beanie wennies are the bomb!

16. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Seth, I love my food. If it's smoking, it's cookin and when it's burnt, it's done. My favorite thing to eat outside is chili, beef steaks, deer steaks, elk steaks, buffalo steaks, bear steaks, if it don't eat me first it's in danger of my fork. I like them hot on the outside and raw in the middle. I like my food, it ain't about quality brother, it's about Quantity! Just like my :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

17. fish

fish Active Member

Hamgurger Helper is as many varieties as they make (for dinner) for breakfast... traditional stuff,

lunch??? your on your own :pop:

18. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    Alrighty, checked what we have, and this is what I grabbed. Bring your seasonings. 2 packs of deer chops, 1 pack of backstrap...2 pieces about 8-10" long-whole, not cut into chops. A bunch of steaks, I would guess 15 or so of them. Give me a ring like I said when you head out this way. I got ya hooked up.

19. BCarroll

BCarroll Active Member

Jun 29, 2009
    cass county
    fresh back straps not bad at all:D

20. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I'll do what ever I need to do around camp to have Bricky cooking breakfast and Mr_Hannibal cooking supper!

Parker