What do you guys think about hunting scrapes around a food source

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by BowHunterKc, Oct 30, 2010.

1. BowHunterKc

BowHunterKc New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Hunting has been really slow in my area, my stand is about 75 yards off a turnip food plot and i have not been seeing hardly anything passing by. Then this morning i rattled in a monster but he stopped out about 70 yards and wouldnt come any closer. After he left the area i got down (around 11am) and went to check the plot to see if they had been eating there. It is totally surrounder with big rubs and scrapes. Do you guys think they are only coming to it at night or maybe from a different direction?

2. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    Those are generally nocturnally visited scrapes. Hoever, I spooked a buck off a scrape on a plot edge at 11:00am this morning

3. skull stacker

skull stacker Active Member

Sep 3, 2008
    SEMO
    I was hunting an oak flat full of scrapes this morning and seen 3 different bucks. I say hang in there tomorrow morning.

4. BowHunterKc

BowHunterKc New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah thats what i figured but the buck i rattled in came from that way...so i dont know if he was just passing through or if he was checking the scrapes? Its a little plot in the middle of the woods so i didnt know if maybe they would be more likely to come check during the day.

5. Wooddust

Wooddust Active Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Yesterday afternoon I climbed into my stand and was slipping my pack off, looked down behind my stand there was a very large scrape...20 feet from my tree....and it was not there yesterday morning...Do not assume what they are doing, especially after about Thursday next week. Its gonna be a compact and furious rut in my opinion.