Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new CRP program we have this year will allow us to disk a third, burn a third, or spray a third, of what we have in crp. I'm going to try the controled burn method. There is suppose to be a class on Feb 26 in Paris. We are allowed to plant 10% in food plots. I have a bottom field that I'm going to put in, but was wondering what I should plant. There has been nothing on this ground in 20 years. I believe a burn will be great this ground, since all it has had done to it is brushhogged once a year.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scott 288, I'll find out the times, my brother-in-law picked up all the paperwork today. The class is the 26th, but I believe the following day we can go to a burn sight, and see how they say to go about it.
I'll let you know.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Burning is :eek::. Be carefull you can hooked on that stuff. :D

I'd plant a variety, clover now (if you can mow), soybeans(spring), winter wheat,, oats brassicas and turnips in late August. Keep something green all the time

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Spraying is the easiest. Just hire someone at about $15 or so/acre and you are done. Discing ain't all that bad of an option. Personally though, I think fire has the greatest benefits. Better yet, fire then discing is good stuff. Keep in mind fires at different times of the years have different effects. Just be careful with fire, I've had one hypothetically get away on me.

How many acres are you going to plant?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Habitat- I know what you mean about fire getting away from you. A few years back we had to call the Fire Dept. to our place. Fire will draw the wind, my uncle found out. I'd like to get 4 acres at least in. I'm going to find out the specifics on Feb. 26, at the class.
Thanks fellas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.