what do you do....

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by jake13, Nov 1, 2010.

1. jake13

jake13 Member

Dec 7, 2006
    MO
    when you have a shoot 33 yards quarting away off your left shooter, but a momma and a yearling 10 yards in front of you... do you take the chance of standing up and getting your bow and attempting the shot and most likely get busted or do you just sit tight and let him walk....? :confused:

2. thompson

thompson Active Member

Nov 26, 2007
    That would be tough. I would have to try and stand up if they wasn't looking. If looking, I would sit tight

3. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    hard to say unless your in the actual situation, so many factors.

4. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Why stand? You should practice shooting in the sitting position.

5. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    I prefer shooting sitting down if possible. Less movement. I've never had luck standing and shooting without getting busted when deer are in close like that.

6. chuck88

chuck88 New Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    [rquote=1873705&tid=130469&author=Mailman]Why stand? You should practice shooting in the sitting position.[/rquote]

x2, I prefer to stand to shoot but also practice and make my son practice from sitting and twisting your body around to make shots.

7. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I try to get on my feet as soon as I see a deer unless they are right up on me.
    As 20' said, there's so many variables it's impossible to tell ya from here at my desk.

8. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    I had the exact same deal earlier this year. The deer I wanted to shoot was already past me but one in front of me was gonna bust me if I turned around to shoot. I took the chance that they were far enough apart (about 40 yards) that even tho I knew I was gonna spook the one in front, the others would stay put long enough for the shot.
    If they were all bunched up they will all go when one spooks. If there is some distance between them or when the one you spook isnt going to run past the one you want to shoot you can get by with it. But you have to be quick about it.
    As others said lots of variables.

9. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    Unless you're completely taken off guard, sounds like you should be standing with bow in hand ready for a shot opportunity long before that situation presents itself.

If I'm in that position, I'm playing it by ear and trying to get a shot off sitting.

10. jake13

jake13 Member

Dec 7, 2006
    MO
    i was taken off guard... the two does were in front of me and he came from behind... i didnt even have my bow in hand. if theres a next time im gonna take the chance and sling and arrow at em!