what do you do when the blood trail stops????

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by fish&hunt82, Nov 14, 2010.

1. landi250r

landi250r Member

Jun 15, 2009
    sounds like time to let the dog use its nose...

2. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    that really depends...shot placement, lay of the land, how well do i know deer movement on this particular property..etc etc etc

3. fish&hunt82

fish&hunt82 Guest

the blood trail is headed towards some thick stuff

4. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    shot placement?
    what did the blood look like...color..bubbles..dark..bright red...?

5. fish&hunt82

fish&hunt82 Guest

no bubbles, bright red.....

6. hun10

hun10 Senior Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Up A Creek
    Mark last blood seen. Then, walk in a spiral around the last blood. Something will turn up and if it doesn't you can grid walk the place. Dogs could also be helpful.

7. fish&hunt82

fish&hunt82 Guest

the blood is bright red, in drops...everywhere she stoped there are a lot of drips. It's not a gut shot, if anything maybe a bit high of the vital

8. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    any idea where you hit the deer?
    how much blood did you have up to this point?

for instance, i shot a deer last year with my bow...shot placement was unknown since the string hit my sleeve and the arrow whipped all the way to the deer. for the first 50 yards i had alot of blood..bright red, no bubbles..enough blood that i just walked at a regular pace following it. for the next 100 yards it got so thin i had 2 helpers spread out looking for pin drops. seen the deer 2 weeks later during rifle season no worse for the wear, (i did however kick him up a couple hours after the shot..so i knew he was as good as new minus a sore breast bone)

9. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    Also what kind of running did the deer do after it was shot? Hell bent to leather running over anything in its path? Or the what was that jump then runing off casually avoiding trees?

10. fish&hunt82

fish&hunt82 Guest

the shot might have been close to the shoulder??? it was not a gut shot. the deer walked off with it's tail down

11. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    [rquote=1896080&tid=132114&author=fish&hunt82]the shot might have been close to the shoulder??? it was not a gut shot. the deer walked off with it's tail down[/rquote]

In my exsperience that describes a high lung shot wiht no heart hit. The small amount of blood is only because it takes a bit for the lungs to fill up to display a good blood trail. Its a dead deer thouhg.

12. fish&hunt82

fish&hunt82 Guest

there was another doe with the the one i shot, i waited about 20 min before i got down and the other doe blew at me. so guess i spooked her, and i don't know if they both ran off.

13. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    [rquote=1896083&tid=132114&author=Longbow26][rquote=1896080&tid=132114&author=fish&hunt82]the shot might have been close to the shoulder??? it was not a gut shot. the deer walked off with it's tail down[/rquote]

In my exsperience that describes a high lung shot wiht no heart hit. The small amount of blood is only because it takes a bit for the lungs to fill up to display a good blood trail. Its a dead deer thouhg. [/rquote]

either that or an "in front of the leg" chest hit. same exact thing the deer i shot did. just walked off..decent blood for a while, then nothing.

14. fish&hunt82

fish&hunt82 Guest

i hope so buddy, i'm going back to hopefully find her tomorrow morning

15. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    Go back to last blood. But also keep a eye up in the sky for the buzerds and corws circling. I had one deer that went 1/4 of a mile on a bow shot and had to track it the next day. I saw buzerds circling as i was traking the blood trail and wount you know the trail ended under the corcling buzzerds and my deer.

Good luck. Move slow and bring your gun wiht you. If she was in heat a buck mihgt be bedded down near her or rt next to her.

16. fish&hunt82

fish&hunt82 Guest

sounds good. wish me luck