Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you consider a long range shot for hunting?

I was just watching a hunting show and the guy said that he had over 35 long range kills, and got me to think what does everyone think is a long range shot.

What is your thoughts?

:cheers:

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
I hear a lot of people talk about how far they can shoot, but rarley see it. For me, 300-350 would be long range. I don't even try to get good at this range as all I hunt is whitetails, and I know I can get closer than this anywhere I hunt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Sidewinder
I hear a lot of people talk about how far they can shoot, but rarley see it. For me, 300-350 would be long range. I don't even try to get good at this range as all I hunt is whitetails, and I know I can get closer than this anywhere I hunt.
I am not talking just about deer

Anything from Deer to elk to speed goats, or bears

:cheers:

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
I'm gonna say 400 yards. I haven't shot at anything over 200, but if you start looking at cartidge ballistics, the majority of them out there really drop off between 300 and 400 so to me that's when you really, really got to bear down and do some "ciphering" fore you squeeze the trigger.

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
Still 300-350 would just about be my limit. Even at that range I would have to have a perect rest. With more practice I am sure I could go out further, but I don't shoot rifles that often. Mainly shoot my bow.

·
Registered
13,957 Posts
350 to 400 is my limit.......... and that is only with a good rest....... a good range finder and my 7mm mag.. I have several confirmed good kills/hits at 350 + but like I said............ all has to be in my favor before I pull the trigger....... my most comfortable range is 200 to 300 yards..... :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I've never pulled the trigger on a live animal past 150, but I feel pretty comfortable out to around 250 - 300. That 300 would have to be with a solid rest and enough time.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
ive never had to shoot over 150 yds, but with a 7 mag or 300 mag and some practice i would try a 400 yarder

·
17,685 Posts
I've sighted in at 450 with my 270 short mag with a solid rest, but on a clean kill I feel comfortable at 300- 350

·
Registered
14,242 Posts
Inside 1000 yards it should be dead.:sniper:

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
Back in the day, when I was in the military we constantly shot at 500-1000 yards, had to be very proficient but that was not using hunting rifles. Now, I would look at a long shot at 200-300 yards. Can't remember when the last time I shot at an animal over 150 yards off.

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
MoBowman...what rifle combo were you using in the military? Bolt action in a .308 or '06?

A buddy of mine is having a custom rifle built for him by a guy in Garden City. Supposed to be good out to 1,000 yards. Gonna have to see if he'll let me shoot that sucker sometime. :rock:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'd call 300 about my comfortable limit with my only scoped deer rifle, a 30-06 Savage. From a rock-steady rest with For iron sights, 150 would be too long.

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
Heeler, this was back in the mid 70's and we trained with the Springfield M21. Which is nothing more than a honed M14 semi-automatic rifle, modified for sniper needs. Which was chambered in the 7.62x51mm nato round, if I remember right that is basically the .308. We spent many hours on the range with that rifle and probably put well over 10,000 rounds thru one.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
40 yards but then i use a modified choke and #2's.

when i am rifle huting i draw the limit around 300.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I have never killed one at 300 yards but I have killed several right at 200. WITH NO REST.;) FREE-HANDED and take a deep breath and squeeze.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts