Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive beed thinking about deer movement at night.
What do you think the deer do all night?
I watched 23 antlerless deer come out of a thicket last weekend. All heading South West 30 minutes before dark. The next morning I was in a stand on the other side of the 280acre farm (NorthEast side) and I had so many antlerless deer come past me I lost count, plus 4 small bucks. These deer came past me from all directions.

SOOoooo.

Did all those 23 deer I saw Friday afternoon disperse in the 13 hrs of darkness only to find their way back to the same thicket from different directions?

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to say I could see the field they crossed the evening before and not one deer crossed that picked bean field that next morning.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
They all gather up, kind of like going to a bar so to speak, and figure out new ways to really make my life hard.:mad2::mad2:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
they come to my game cam and get their pics taken and then dont come by in the daylight

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
After dark they all converge (NEAR YOUR STAND),then kinda regroup,see who died and who didnt...
Listen to each others horror/war stories...
Then they make afew scrapes and rubs to really get ya goin...The whole time they are laughin and mocking you...
And finally before daylight they go over safety and how to avoid the crazy guy in the tree.

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
[rquote=1493365&tid=104288&author=SHEDHEAD]After dark they all converge (NEAR YOUR STAND),then kinda regroup,see who died and who didnt...
Listen to each others horror/war stories...
Then they make afew scrapes and rubs to really get ya goin...The whole time they are laughin and mocking you...
And finally before daylight they go over safety and how to avoid the crazy guy in the tree.[/rquote]

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

i knew that :cheers:

:rof2::rof2::pop:

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
101 views 12 poll answers but no serious thoughts? come on guys!

I have thought in the past they go to a field and then come back the same way they came from but I dont think so any more. Have you ever watched a deer cross a field feeding? It doesnt take long for them to move across it. I cant imagine they stay in the same field all night.

Along the same lines why do deer cross 3/4 of a mile of picked bean/corn fields just to feed in another picked bean/corn field?

You ever see em spook for no apparent reason and clear out of a field? That has to happen at night too.

·
PURE KILLER
38,022 Posts
boy and i thought you knew how to hunt.:thinking:any self respecting hunter would wait till it snowed and then get on the tracks and see where they went and then he would know.mine exit in the field,cross the tracks into a cow pasture, cross the road into another field bed for awhile get up cross another road,feed in another field bed,cross another road. then cross the railroad again feed bed:Dthen work their way by my stand.no wonder yah can't kill anything decent:stirpot:

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[rquote=1493385&tid=104288&author=coyotehunter]boy and i thought you knew how to hunt.:thinking:any self respecting hunter would wait till it snowed and then get on the tracks and see where they went and then he would know.mine exit in the field,cross the tracks into a cow pasture, cross the road into another field bed for awhile get up cross another road,feed in another field bed,cross another road. then cross the railroad again feed bed:Dthen work their way by my stand.no wonder yah can't kill anything decent:stirpot:[/rquote]

snow...in Indiana....during hunting season...:hysterical:

Im not talkin big bucks just deer in general.

·
Baller, shot caller
11,063 Posts
[rquote=1493384&tid=104288&author=racks-n-beards]Everybody knows they go to the deer rave!!! And yes your deer stand is the where the DJ sets up.

[/rquote]

Yep, that's exactly right. I bet if you look down at the ground around your stand, you'll see a bunch of used glo-sticks, Stone Cold. Really, they party at the raves all night. I've even heard the thumping bass music they listen too. If they party too hard, they may go back to bed late and you'll have a good chance at a shot. Their guard is down from being up all night. You'll know they've been raving when you see bucks coming through mid-morning with their heads down looking like they are tired.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Hunter7x, I ponder this question often about deer. Not just what they are doing at night, but at any time I am not seeing them. I tend to wonder more along the lines of what the bucks are doing though.:cheers:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,493 Posts
My thoughts are that the deer have several 'safe' areas that they like to go bed......3-5-10?

When they get up and go eat, as jumpy as deer are......how many nights do they really go undisturbed, and just go where ever they feel, with no thought of fear?

If they were to happen to come back to the same safe spot from the night before to bed for the day, I sure think the percentages go WAY down thinking that they come back the same way they left.

That Tall Tines I've been TRYING to pattern seems to have a linear route. What I don't know, is if its a REALLY big loop, or just a big line he follows one day, and then goes back another way the next day. Like, does he go A to B in a big circle every night, or does he go A to B tonight, B to C tomorrow night, C to D the next night, and then D back to A the next night?

Parker

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I agree with Coyotehunter, I think deer will feed for a while, bed down for a while,then get up and feed some more, working their way back to their main bedding area and bed down before day light. Deer movement where I hunted seemed to be right at dark, and seemed to bed down before daylight. That resulted in a lot less deer sightings, and may have accounted for a lot of hunters just not seeing the numbers of deer this year. Same thing for last year where I hunted. Just seemed the deer were almost nocturnal. Just my theory though.:shrug:
:cheers::cheers:

·
PURE KILLER
38,022 Posts
well the deer basically have the same pattern during fall and winter season and i am talking does.because this time of year where the does go,the bucks will follow. i want my does to get south and bring big boy back with him.the wife just called a few minutes ago and said the guy seen the monster again during lunch today and thats the only cornfield still standing in the way of him coming on over to my spot.except my place is still in corn to:mad2:but if they ever get it out he is dead:D did i mention the older woman who owns the property allowed no hunting this year:D

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[rquote=1493396&tid=104288&author=Parker]My thoughts are that the deer have several 'safe' areas that they like to go bed......3-5-10?

When they get up and go eat, as jumpy as deer are......how many nights do they really go undisturbed, and just go where ever they feel, with no thought of fear?

If they were to happen to come back to the same safe spot from the night before to bed for the day, I sure think the percentages go WAY down thinking that they come back the same way they left.

That Tall Tines I've been TRYING to pattern seems to have a linear route. What I don't know, is if its a REALLY big loop, or just a big line he follows one day, and then goes back another way the next day. Like, does he go A to B in a big circle every night, or does he go A to B tonight, B to C tomorrow night, C to D the next night, and then D back to A the next night?

Parker[/rquote]

thats more like it.

The stand I was in Saturday morning is a great morning stand and most deer come from the East heading West into the thicket from a long long way. Wind direction doesnt matter.
I rarely see a deer leaving that thicket heading East from that stand no matter wind direction.
The deer I see leaving the thicket in the evenings leave heading SouthWest no matter wind direction.
Its got to be the same deer but they have traveled a very large distance to get to where they are coming from and all of that movement is at night.

·
PURE KILLER
38,022 Posts
[rquote=1493396&tid=104288&author=Parker]My thoughts are that the deer have several 'safe' areas that they like to go bed......3-5-10?

Parker[/rquote]i don't know about that parker.ive seen the same doe and little one bed next to same downed top for weeks at a time.just like last night everytime i have hunted this one stand the same little six gets up from the same general area and basically the same time and heads the same way.their all creatures of habit except during the rut,then all bets are off:D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.