Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday, I bought a 2009 Dream Season GX. Starting Saturday, I started putting on my rest and sights from my old clunker to the new one. I started shooting and got my 20 yd. pin sighted in perfectly for my field tips.

Problem-today I started shooting my practice broadheads. The first shot was perfect up and down but about 5 inches to the left. I thought I pulled. I shot again and the same thing.

I shot a field tip again and perfect.

What is the cause of my broadheads pulling like this?:thinking::thinking:

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Mechanicals or Fixed?

·
2,842 Posts
Most fixed blade broadheads I have shot do not shoot the same as my field points. I now shoot mechanical (rage) and they hit exactly the same

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Most likely fixed heads...and very common. A lot of, if not most fixed heads have to be sighted in, or tuned for your bow...they simply will not fly like a field point.

Have you paper tuned the bow to see how well the arrows coming off? I would start there if you haven't. This is the reason I went with the 2 blade rages this year, they in fact fly very close to my field points, but there's a lot of issues being posted about them breaking, not opening, etc...

So you could either try a good mechanical, or tune / sight your bow to the heads you have.

I was shooting the Montec G5's and those things were all over the place out of my set up, shooting about 4" from where my field tips were hitting.

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
Get ya the rage's....see if that solves it, im betting it will.

Mine shoot exactly like my field points :2thumbsup:

With fixed, I had exactly the same problem you're having

·
Mountain lion hunter
28,312 Posts
Move your rest to the right 1/32" or maybe a 1/16"

see if it closes that 5" gap . If it helps go a lil more till the gap closes to exact or it evens out. Then readjust your sight

That adjustment may fix you problem or your spine maybe off a little?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Assuming that your arrows are correctly spined for your bow , you may need a center shot adjustment . Move your rest to the right in 1/16"increments until the broadheads group together with your field points.

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
[rquote=1483932&tid=103723&author=Refuze2falo]Move your rest to the right 1/32" or maybe a 1/16"

see if it closes that 5" gap . If it helps go a lil more till the gap closes to exact or it evens out. Then readjust your sight

That adjustment may fix you problem or your spine maybe off a little?[/rquote]

:claphands::claphands: The only real answer to the question. Changing to mechnical's isn't going to get done what he is after. Someone spends 20-30 bucks buying fixed broadheads doesn't want to be told to switch to mechs. They want to know why and how to fix it. :whistle:

·
Registered
69,798 Posts
[rquote=1486791&tid=103723&author=MoBowman][rquote=1483932&tid=103723&author=Refuze2falo]Move your rest to the right 1/32" or maybe a 1/16"

:claphands::claphands: The only real answer to the question. Changing to mechnical's isn't going to get done what he is after. Someone spends 20-30 bucks buying fixed broadheads doesn't want to be told to switch to mechs. They want to know why and how to fix it. :whistle:[/rquote]

Right on Mike...

I have yet to find a fixed broadhead that will shoot the same as a field point. You just have to re-sight you bow to which ever tip you put on your arrow. It's a pain when you have only one bow and shoot 3-D and hunt at the same time. Been there...done that...and still doing it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
[rquote=1483932&tid=103723&author=Refuze2falo]Move your rest to the right 1/32" or maybe a 1/16"

I'd take Refuze2falo's advice on this one!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
[rquote=1486847&tid=103723&author=Mailman][rquote=1486791&tid=103723&author=MoBowman][rquote=1483932&tid=103723&author=Refuze2falo]Move your rest to the right 1/32" or maybe a 1/16"

:claphands::claphands: The only real answer to the question. Changing to mechnical's isn't going to get done what he is after. Someone spends 20-30 bucks buying fixed broadheads doesn't want to be told to switch to mechs. They want to know why and how to fix it. :whistle:[/rquote]

Right on Mike...

I have yet to find a fixed broadhead that will shoot the same as a field point. You just have to re-sight you bow to which ever tip you put on your arrow. It's a pain when you have only one bow and shoot 3-D and hunt at the same time. Been there...done that...and still doing it.[/rquote]

You don't have to re-sight in if the bow is tuned properly . Center shot and spine tolerance affect broadhead flight , but with the proper adjustments to center shot , the Broadheads should group with the field points without re-sighting .
In my testing , I have found that low profile broadheads such as Slick Tricks will not wind plane at speeds above 270 fps as bad as higher profile fixed blade heads.
The blades of a broadhead act like wings on an airplane , and will steer a broadhead in the direction of the point if the arrow flight is not perfect .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts