Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the cold weather is upon us is there anything I can do now to get my foodplots ready. The only reason I am asking is because I need to get a headstart. For my job I leave in March and don't come back until Sept! Is mowing and spraying round up now even worth the time/money? Thanks

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
What's the ground look like now? bare? fescue?

Probably the best option if the ground is bare or in winter wheat, is to top broadcast clover/chicory in Feb. And it would be best to have someone mow it during the summer.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the results back...

Plot #1.....4 acres pH of 6.0 suggested lime 110
Plot #2.....1 acres pH of 4.9 suggested lime 1170
Plot #3......1 acre pH of 5.0 suggested lime 1150

what do those numbers mean as far as 110, 1170, 1150? Are those pounds of lime? tons?

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
I think you had another post going asking the same question...but I would guess they are ENM.

If you divide the suggested ENM from your soil test by the ENM of the lime, you will get the tons/acre to apply.
Lets say the lime at the local quarry test 450 ENM for example.
Plot #1 would need 110/450 or roughly 0.25 tons/acre
Plot #2 would need 1170/450 or roughly 2.6 tons/acre
Plot #3 would need 1150/450 or roughly 2.6 tons/acre

So you are going to need about 6 tons total. I would be tempted to find someone that spreads lime and pay them to do it. If they have a minimum order of 15 tons or something like that, I'd just have them spread the other 9 tons over other areas. Still be much less labor intensive than trying to spread ag lime yourself or cheaper than buying pellotized lime and spreading it yourself.

[Edited on 12-5-2009 by HabitatMD]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.