What breed?

Discussion in 'Blood Trailing.....OPT IN>>>>>>>' started by plumbob, Apr 11, 2015.

1. plumbob

plumbob Member

Nov 7, 2005
    Dixon, MO
    We have two labs now, one is getting up there in age. We are thinking of getting another dog, but what breed would I be looking for to try to train for tracking but also be a pet? Wife wants a bloodhound, but I'm not sold yet.

2. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Lab would be my choice since you want the dog to be a pet. The majority of hunting dogs spend more time at home than they do in the field.

3. Deeraholic

Deeraholic Great White Buffalo @*%!

I'd suggest suggest borrowing or buying a copy of this book. He does a great job breaking down how several of the most popular breeds used for tracking will work.

Tracking Dogs for Finding Wounded Deer - Jeanneney
    http://www.born-to-track.com/book/order-info.htm

The book is sold out on his website, but it's available on Amazon.com

4. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Gotta get that book and read his opinions on versatility of breeds.

I would not suggest a bloodhound due to their relentless want to drag your butt along for the ride.

I fully believe a lab is the dog for the job, though there are tons of other options.

If you get a lab (or any other large dog that you want to work hard for you) pay for demeanor, certified eyes, certified hips, and certified elbows. My opinion.

The dog needs to have a drive, and a drive to want to want to please its master. A huge bonding partnership between the dog and the handler.

5. watermen

watermen Active Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Rolla
    I would suggest one of the continental versatile breeds, retrieves like a lab and tracks and points.

6. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

our Bassett Hound took to it naturally & got really good after getting deer treats from the Hanging deer. he put 2+2 together really fast.+ ..could'nt make a better pet either

7. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008

Basset Hounds ARE awesome...great pets...too. How long does he last on a track? So many Bassets seem too big for their legs and seem like they'd tire really fast.

8. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

once Max got his "smell on" he never got tired/ That being said most of our tracking was for fun ( we had already found the deer) so he could be part of the process and earn "Max treats" 100-200 yrds or so some was in very thick brush and he was able to circumvent the stickers & thorns and get back on track..he was that smart. One friend did call us one night and we brought Max. Friend & I took off going in the direction that the deer ran according to friend. Max went another direction with the wife & in about 20 minutes she yelled "FOUND IT". Dont underestimate them little legs that nose is their motor and if there is a smell those legs move. The first time we took him out I made a liver shot he smelled the blood & took off. He went under trees and in places ther was no way thought a deer could go so I pulled him off thinking he was crazy. Next morning I went back alone & sure as shootn he was following (pushing) that deer but ol Max new where he was going for sure. I still could not imagine a deer going through all that stuff.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    Huntingfuul likes this.
  9. Dirtdog

Dirtdog Active Member

Jul 23, 2009
    love my Blue Lacy