1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,898 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i understand the concept, but i also understand the the difficulty of the concept on free range deer. High fence operations, the concept would work great.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
A square mile is all you need to influence your deer herd. You enrich your habitat to encourage deer to use your property. You will have an influenced on your deer herd.

Bucks will tend to occupy property's less than 100 acres if the situations are corrects....there are radio collared references in the Quality Whitetails about bucks occupying 40 acres or less.

Do you have the topography and the ability to create a landscape for a monster deer.....I don't know..but I am trying.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what about the external factors that influence deer movement, hunting pressure, the rut and predators?

·
Registered
922 Posts
If you can create everything they need, they dont need to travel off your property. So thats where you can influence hunting pressure. If you keep pressure light on your property, they are more likely to stay on it. It dont take them long to realize that when they step off your property they are hunted on other ground, so they tend to stay where the pressure is light, and where they have cover, food, water, and some does to breed.

Not a lot you can do about predators, other than trying to kill them when you get a chance, but I dont think you can realistically decrease a coyote population to a point that it tould make a difference.

The rut,,, anything goes I guess. The bucks are likely to be anywhere then, and you just have to hope they elude the others and return home.. Or stay on your property and tend to the does that are there. Every year, I get pics of bucks that dont seem to leave my property during the rut. And others that seem to leave for a couple weeks to return, some leave and never return,, and every year, we have several new bucks show up after the rifle season probably being pushed in by pressure, and finding my plots and light pressure so they stay the rest of the year. Late archery season is usually better for big bucks on my property than early season.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Travel patterns can vary widlely for deer.

Older bucks have smaller home ranges.

Just think you could actually make a difference on a square mile of property versus what I am trying to do on 67 acres.

·
Registered
18,567 Posts
The concept is pretty simple really, QDM is about letting bucks reach maturity and taking enough does to balance the herd while still making it fun to hunt. Let youngsters so whatever they want and improve habitat for all animals, not just deer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts