What a trip. Just can't hardly believe how things work out sometimes

Discussion in 'Social Club 2011' started by pinwheel, Jun 4, 2009.

1. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    As most of you know, we just bought our new home. We're in the planning stages of the renovation. Gut & start over kitchen, dining room & living room. Building new cherry cabinets from scratch. Trying to decide on the countertops. We've always had formica tops. Nothing really wrong with them, but this time, we really wanted to explore having an undermounted sink. Trackercasey has been encouraging me to find a source for raw materials on solid surface countertops & do it myself.

I had been having no luck finding the raw materials, so I gave up & started looking at Home Depot about new tops. They had a special that fell into the price range I was willing to spend, so that's what we decided on exploring. Turns out, no colors that appealed to us in that price range, but they did have other products that appealed to us. But, it was going to run around 4k for counter tops.:eek:

Jen was starting to justify in her own mind that price. I told her, we're easing into the granite price range now, if you're going to spend that much on tops, let's explore granite as well. So I got on the phone & started calling contractors that I do work for about their connections & see if we couldn't save some money.

First call & I get a # for a granite guy in Columbia. Seen his work on past jobs & he does good work. He also gave me another guy to call. Turns out, I've know this guy for 20 years. He's mentored me on a lot of projects over the years & refered a lot of work our way. I show up in his shop & we get to talking. Long story shorter, he's going to get me hooked up with raw materials on some very high end product & he's going to sell it to me at cost. Now, here's the real kick in the teeth. He runs like Jenny & I, full tilt, & he's looking for a fabricator/installer for this product. He doesn't have the time to do the hands on work, & has asked us if we're willing to take it on.

You guys already know how I feel about coincidence, don't believe in it.

Looks like I'll be shaving about 3k off our countertops by doing it myself, & I'm going to get trained on a new business venture on my own kitchen.:dancin:

Looks like we'll be picking something from this palet. He just placed a big order on raw materials. Gonna be a couple weeks before it comes in for us to make a final decision on color & pattern.
    http://www.mysterasurfaces.com

To say she's excited about this would be an understatement.

2. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Well-Known Member

I'm intrigued, PW. But it looks like it can scratch, and maybe scorch?
    What are the downsides to granite, and why did you lean towards this?
    How does it compare to Corian(sp?).
    Cool gig, though:cheers:

3. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1286469&tid=89973&author=UrbanHunter]I'm intrigued, PW. But it looks like it can scratch, and maybe scorch?
    What are the downsides to granite, and why did you lean towards this?
    How does it compare to Corian(sp?).
    Cool gig, though:cheers:[/rquote]

Essentially the same thing as corian. Scratches can be sanded out since it's color goes all the way through. This companies product looks like natural stone.

The downside to granite is it's high maintenance from my understanding. Will stain & harbor bacteria if it's not sealed reguarly since it's so porus.

4. lma

lma Active Member

:eek:: Heck of a deal, Randy!

5. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Well-Known Member

Gotcha. I never have gone through the spec sheets of all the counter top media. I'd like one that I can use as a cutting board, put a blazing hot pan on, is completely non-porous (so sanitary)... but they don't make those, eh? Har.
    The idea of buffing to your desired level of gloss is neat. Means it's repairable. Also means folks like me would keep you in business long after the installation.

6. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    Mark, the neat thing about buffing it out is that you can do it yourself. This stuff is worked with regular woodworking tools. 400 grit paper on your orbital sander gives a matte finish. It is supposed to be sanitary because it's not porus. I believe it's heat resistant, I know it's chemically resistant. Lots of commercial businesses use solid surface materials in food handling areas.

7. Camp David

Camp David New Member

Mar 3, 2007
    What we all have seen of your work on here. Your craftmans skills your persevere!

8. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    [rquote=1286467&tid=89973&author=pinwheel]

You guys already know how I feel about coincidence, don't believe in it.

Looks like I'll be shaving about 3k off our countertops by doing it myself, & I'm going to get trained on a new business venture on my own kitchen.:dancin:

To say she's excited about this would be an understatement.
    [/rquote]

What a "coincidence"! ;)

:2thumbsup:

9. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    Awesome! We are looking at the same countertop material. Easy to work with and pretty much "everythign" proof. :cheers::cheers:

10. CoHunter

CoHunter New Member

May 19, 2007
    Colorado
    Sweet deal. Good Luck, i would take one look at a job like that and :whinging:

11. Landlover

Landlover Active Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    We love our granite counter tops. I seal them once a year, which is a very easy job. I really like being able to put a hot pan down on them and being able to use them as cutting board.

Good things happen to GREAT people!

12. Reed

Reed New Member

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem, MO
    We have been re-doing our kitchen for awhile now, finally got down to the last cabinet for the cook top, telescoping fan, and the drawer microwave. Counter tops will be coming soon and she doesn't know yet what she wants to go with. Sure will be glad when this is all finished.

13. ryanlowe02

ryanlowe02 Sexual Intellectual

Aug 11, 2007
    Raymore, MO
    that sounds like cool stuff.........

i just tiled the bar top in my basement and i like the looks of a tile too.....just thinking you could get real creative with some back splashes and what not

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    all i can say is good things happen to good people........got a question, did you look into concrete tops by any chance??? and prices, you can do all the work make whatever color you want, seal it and its done.......as soon as we get things back in order and bills payed ..we want to start the remodel thing......i know who i want to make our cabnits, wood floors and wood walls......be great if he could do the counter tops also......:roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2:

15. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Time to buy a lotto ticket.:claphands:

I know you probably have your mind made up, but silestone is pretty darn sweet and about as low maintenance as it comes. Maybe silestone is just a brand name and this feller sells something equivalent. Sure worth a look. I really don't know much about counter tops to tell you the truth, but when we were looking through the samples and weighed out the maintenance, it was an easy choice.

16. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    thats cool, i bet that place is going to look like a diamond when your done