What a show

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Keith, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    We passed on Saturday due to high wind and we both were having problems with allergies. Sunday was a cold start but what a beautiful day it was once the sun rose. We were hunting a new place and we had only seen it once earlier in the week when we set up our blind. Approx. 2 acre field in between two steep ridges and a creek along the edge.

We got in the blind before first light and as soon as it started getting light the gobbling began. I had took a guess at where to place the blind and of course it turned out wrong. Our first time to call got an immediate response from behind us. :bangin: Then six Jake's come from behind us making all kind of noise and fighting each other while heading for the decoys. All were legal except one. Bryan was trying to get a bead on one but they were running and jumping on each other and he did not have a chance.

Then we heard the hair raising spit and drum right behind us. Of course we can't see behind us with the blind door being shut. I told Bryan he was coming from behind and he got ready for him through a side window. He came by at a full run by the blind headed for the dekes. Bryan had to slowly turn to shoot out of the front opening. All six of the Jakes jumped this tom when he would start to strut. Their was no way Bryan could shoot or it would have been trouble. The Jakes did not let up and finally the tom ran toward the creek with Jakes still giving him heck.

The look on Bryan's face was priceless and I am sure mine was too. I had never witnessed such a circus before in some 25 plus years of hunting.

We will be back and set up on the other side next week and see how that works. We saw several hens and one came within a few feet and never saw us. No tom this time but we sure had a memorable hunt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    I am ticked that I did not get pics of the rucus but I was kinda distracted,:banghead:

3. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Sounds like a great morning out! Good luck in a couple weeks!

4. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Sounds like an exciting hunt.

5. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Sounded exciting, at the very least... :D