Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having a tough time this afternoon deciding if I was tough enough to spend 2+ hours in the stand. Sustained winds around 20 mph & temps plunging from the mid teens to the single digits by dark. Fortunately, I got to running my mouth with Scott288 & got myself committed to going.

I had a general idea where I wanted to hunt, but was going to wait till I got in the timber to make a final decision. Sure enough, the tree my climber was on wasn't the tree I ended up getting in. I love scouting in the snow, cause it's so easy to see the heavy run trails.

At 4pm, the first deer magically appeared right under me. I never seen her come in. Right on her heels was her sister, followed by their momma.

Here's the sister.

[file]45015[/file]

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's momma. Coulda wacked any of the 3 with no trouble, but still got 2 hangin that needs cut, so they got a pass.

[file]45016[/file]

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
:woot::dancin:

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
About an hour later, I finally got to reach for my bow. First time all season. Through the timber, I see legs, followed by a head. A head with antlers. I know it's a youngster & not a shooter, but I see another set of legs coming down the trail. Experience says, if there's one buck this time of year, chances are, there's at least one more, so I'm ready.

False alarm, it's another youngster, with no more following. They come down a trail to my north & pass within 20 yds. For giggles, I stop the lead buck at 25 yds. Perfect, had it been a shooter, he would have been in an open window for the shot. They milled around for 20 minutes & never had a clue I was anywhere about.

[file]45019[/file]

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After they left, I decided I was about done, so I started gathering up my stuff. Let my bow down, put my backpack on & unbuckled the top section of my climber from the tree. It's still light enough to shoot. I look to my right, & here come 2 deer from my neighbors crp. They don't seem to have a care in the world. At first, I'm thinkin a couple does. Boy was I wrong. Turns out, lead deer is about 100" 8 point & the second deer is a lot better. Ear width, long tines. 4" browies. I'd guess him to be upper 130's 10 pointer. Both bucks pass within bow range, between 30-35 yds. Gonna set Jenny up in that area Friday night. Sure hope that 10 makes that same mistake. He was safe passin by me within bow range, but Jenny's standards aren't as high as mine. She's got the green light on him.

All said, all done. My fingers are froze, cause all I had on were jersy gloves. Wasn't bad with my hands in my pockets, but hanging on to the climber on the way down bout gave me frost bite.

I sneak out to the edge of the field with the big corn plot. Deer aren't in the corn. They're in the 1 acre bean plot on the other side of the corn & they're going to town. At least 2 bucks down there & I can easily tell they've both got head gear. I really want a better look at those 2 deer. 150 yds away at last light & you can tell they've got antlers, yeah, I need another look at them. I'm betting at least one is a shooter. Not only were those 2 bucks down there, but there were also at least 7-8 more deer with them. I know where I'm setting Blevly up Friday night.

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
I'm convinced about the beans just from your and rmr's stories. Sounds like a great evening.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
:kewlpics:You the man:bowing:

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Nice pics!

We got no snow here in Morgan Co

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,454 Posts
:cheers: Great to see you having a good night PW! I'll be looking forward to hearing about all of your adventures this week on Mon.

Parker

·
17,685 Posts
Randy you had quite a day man and :kewlpics:to say the least:cheers:

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
sounds like an awesome hunt. glad i was dealin with family and not the cold. did i mention i really wanna come sit it a tree with you on that farm . . . . .:whiteflag:

i really hope you see them bucks again, maybe put a tcam up around there?

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,137 Posts
That was definately worth the sit. I can hunt this weekend,,,and its supposed to warm up,,so I guess I'll hunt the woods and hope for the best. Our beans are gone except for the big fields. I hope Jenny wacks that 10.

:cheers::cheers:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts