Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured some might have some knowledge about lawn care. My backyard has a steep hill and flattens out by the house. We have either a spring or ground water that seeps up from the ground. We had a french drain placed that constantly drains water so its working well.

My questions is...I still have areas that retain a lot of water. I’ve read that spreading lime (calcium oxide or calcium hydroxide) can help soak up water. Anyone had any luck with this or any suggestions?

· Registered
70,866 Posts
Is this the type of French Drain you installed? Or was it the trench type with exposed gravel or grates on top? The type in the attached video with more pipe branching off of the main line to your wet area might work.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah...they installed 4 inch perforated pvc pipe so not the corrogated. The wet area in where water that does not soak down into the ground to flow into the drain and just stays on the surface and follows the grade of the ground. I'm just trying to find a way to make the soil there absorb more water and dry out quicker.

Is this the type of French Drain you installed? Or was it the trench type with exposed gravel or grates on top? The type in the attached video with more pipe branching off of the main line to your wet area might work.

· Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,732 Posts
I recall gypsum as being touted as a soil amendment to create micro-channels.
Don't recall hearing anyone tout it lately.
Never heard lime products.

· Registered
9,765 Posts
Add dirt and put the correct fall so that the water moves over and down the hill.If you have a low spot and water stands in it the best way is to put it all on grade at the correct slope and it will drain without digging trenches and adding piping and all that.

· Under appreciated
93,225 Posts
I put a french drain in the back yard and it clogged up in no time, waste of money in my situation so I just graded it with the skidloader when I had one here during the construction of the garage. Not sure if grading will help your situation or not

· Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,732 Posts
A true "French drain" is a rarity. Mostly you see yard drains.
A French drain is an open drain, with exposed pea gravel. Do the math for the volume of a 6" pipe, versus a 12" pea gravel drain... 144 square inches vs. some 28 square inches.
A true French drain will flat flush water.
Hydrologists figure that the gravel actually reduces the flow potential by about 60%, but still... almost three times the water carrying capacity.

· Registered
1,067 Posts
You have to decide if you want surface or subsurface drainage. If you use the perforated pipe and gravel, you have to keep the surface water put, or it will clog it up. A impervious layer of something has to be put in above the gravel, so it only drains what is underground. If it is just surface water, dirt work will fix. If it is both, you will need to construct 2 drainage systems, one being the "French drain" to take any water underground away, and dirt work on the surface to make sure that goes away.

Clear as mud probably the way I explain it. One system really don't do both for any amount of time .

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m sure the proper way is to do the French Drain like shown in the video, but we just had the trench done.

I’m not gonna have more drain or anything put in...I’m more asking about how can I make the soil better at absorbing rain water. I’ve also heard Gypsum may help???

· Registered
1,067 Posts
I'm sure the proper way is to do the French Drain like shown in the video, but we just had the trench done.

I'm not gonna have more drain or anything put in...I'm more asking about how can I make the soil better at absorbing rain water. I've also heard Gypsum may help???
Adding anything to the soil isn't going to make it absorb more water. You can stabilize soil with gypsum or like which will help dry it up and help with compaction, but you have to divert the water to have any long term solution.

· Banned
81,617 Posts
How big of an area ?? Does it stay wet thru the drier summer months ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.