Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this has been one of the most exciting memorable FRUSTRATING deer seasons Ive had in a long time. Some of you know Ive been hunting a real stud of a 10 pointer.
Ive been concerend if he was still alive or not but I actually saw him twice last weekend. Once from the stand and once while driving away from the property. After not seeing him for over 2 weeks I was happy to know he was still there.
I missed him with my bow earlier this year but havent had him close enough for a shot with gun or bow since.

yesterday evening after talking with henry I decided to set up in an unusual place on the farm. Ive never hunted in this spot but its where I saw him Sunday morning while driving out.
Im sitting on the ground and its pouring rain. Its our Muzzleloader season so Im carrying the encore.
I knew it was going to be a short sit and I got in at about 4:15.
About 5 I saw a deer across the road move thru couldnt tell what it was. Then about 5 mintues later a car drives down the road and i see a deer move again on my side of the road.
Since it was raining so hard I had the lens covers on my binos and didnt want to risk the movement of taking them off to see what the deer was.
As it moved closer I could tell it was injured. The buck Ive been hunting developed a limp earlier in the year and when i saw this deer lurch as it walked I thought it could be him. I flipped up the lens covers on my scope and was surprised to see a very very nice non typical buck. I have never seen this deer before. I also could see his left front leg was hanging by meat and skin only.
At this point I am trying to decide if Im going to shoot him or not. After watching him a few mintues longer I decided to take him. Ive passed 3 other deer this year that I would normally have shot. Deer in the 125+ range. this deer if he had a clean right side would be in the 140's.
So I pull the hammer back he is slightly quartering toward me on the side of his injury. I shoot he falls...then gets up again as Im reloading. He walks off lurching like he was as he came in. He gets 50 or 60 yards further from me and stops and looks back at me. I keep thinking he will fall right there but he doesnt. I have to take a couple of steps to get another shot but he gets tired or watching me and lurches off before I can get settled on him again.
I gather my stuff and head in the oppposite direction to the truck to get a flashlight. Now it is freezing rain and rain steady.
I get back in and go to where he fell.... no blood no hair. I walk to where I think he was standing for so long...no blood.
I dont know what happened. I dont understand why he fell other than maybe because of his leg when he went to run he just fell..... that is the side he went down on.
I went back this morning and looked for 2 hrs, nothing.

next thing i see with antlers is dying and Im gonna start laying out the skin heads.

im done with this season. ive spent so much time and gas money and passed so many small bucks and like I said 3 other nice ones I just dont have the energy to keep trying.
I figure if big boy is alive now he will make it thru until next year and I can start the frustration all over.

·
PURE KILLER
38,018 Posts
ahh heck,don't give up so easy.he might be right behind the buck you shoot:D:cheers:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
time to shine the crossbow up and get one of the smart one that made it through the punkin patch...i have seen several nice ones since gun season so they are still there...one my wife seen as she pulled in the driveway at noon drinkin out of my lake...lol..the dam is my drive way said she sat there they got a drink and moved on i know the ten she is talkin bout too and he would be my biggest kill by far....no doubt...prolly bust 155-160 pretty easy...im comin for ya big boy so br ptrpsred along with the other 3 i know the whereabouts on

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
don't quit until the season is over! he hasn't won until the season ends!!!!! dig down get back out and if you kill him won't you be glad you stuck with it!!!!

[Edited on 12-9-2009 by 20 feet high]

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am sorry to hear of your misfortunes, and I know that late season hunts can be extremely mentally draining, but YOU HAVE TO GO BACK AFTER'EM! No need to allow this hunt stew in your mind for the 8+ months of an off season! Things will get better, they always do for the people that are deserving.

Stay with it!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey i had the worst start to a season iv ever had,6 misses in a week,AND ONE WAS ON A 150" BUCK.I have 4 deer in the freezer now. NEVER GIVE UP!!!!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Stay with the big guy.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,028 Posts
Tough year for sure. Glad ya got a lot of action. Take a few days off & get back out there.

If you'll remember, 2 years ago, I hunted harder than I had ever hunted. Was totally burnt out & ready to give up. I'm sure you were one of the guys giving me crap about not quitting. Arrowed the buck in my avatar on New Years eve.

·
Under appreciated
89,769 Posts
Dont give up hunter7x...

You had a very successful year once again, remember freedom hunt?? ;)

Keep at it.. hoping for the best man. :cheers:

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,884 Posts
Hang in there Steve, deer hunting can be the most rewarding frustrating thing, and it can all change in a moments notice.:shrug:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts