Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been 3 years since the antler restrictions went into play. And by the looks of these trail cam photos, most of which are from those counties, I'd say we are seeing the results. Would you agree?

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Heck we've been doing it for more than three years and you've seen our results.

·
just a no body
16,020 Posts
diddo at mobiggies & surrounding areas..been about 5 years and we kind of keep rtrack on what the neighbors get & nobody has gotten any "trophies" so that tells me they are still around jus getting bigger

·
Banned
81,617 Posts
Ours are pretty much the same. We would have to have a history of before restrictions from the same areas the cams are now to know if it is helping .

:cheers::cheers:

·
Banned
81,617 Posts
Originally posted by Center Punch
Originally posted by henry
Ours are pretty much the same. We would have to have a history of before restrictions from the same areas the cams are now to know if it is helping .

Helping what?
Helping to increase the number of mature bucks. At least that is what I was assuming cfdjay was refering to.

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
I seriously doubt if this will dramatically increase the number of mature bucks in the state of Missouri.

The change that I see is that all of those guys who were shooting the first set of horns that they saw are now going to be shooting the first 2 1/2 year old buck they see.

I think that it will greatly increase the number of 2 1/2 year old bucks getting shot......

I think it will lead to a decent increase in 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 year old bucks getting shot..........

And last I think that there will be a slight increase in mature trophies getting shot.

Having said all this...............even though I think it is not a cure all...........I wish the MDC would get it right and make it state wide.

·
Registered
306 Posts
they haven't enforced the 4 point rule in my area, unless they have for this year, (I havent checked it out yet)

Are you guys that have the restriction seeing good results??

I kinda wish they would enforce the rule here....

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
Its gonna take more than a couple of years to make a decent difference in the herd so patience is in order..

That said, its good at least in my opinion, that mdc is doing SOMETHING rather than nothing to address this issue.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Anything is better than what we had before. It as least giving 1&1/2 year olds a chance as well as a fair amount of the 2&1/2 year olds.

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
I wish they would move the firearm season to the first week or two of Dec.....it would get us big bucks alot faster, and with better results than point restrictions....the big boys would have a better chance to pass on thier genes!!!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Originally posted by fireman_3311
I wish they would move the firearm season to the first week or two of Dec.....it would get us big bucks alot faster, and with better results than point restrictions....the big boys would have a better chance to pass on thier genes!!!
now don't go sticking an arrow in any big boys before they have a chance to pass on their genes. :wink4:

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Originally posted by gmbellew
Originally posted by fireman_3311
now don't go sticking an arrow in any big boys before they have a chance to pass on their genes. :wink4:
I know what you're gittin at, but there are TONS more bigguns killed with a gun than with a bow....apples and oranges!!!!

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Originally posted by coyotehunter
oh boy fireman is dreaming iowa again.
You ain't lyin!!!!! December gunseasons have certainly put them on top!!!!

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Originally posted by Arrow-1
I seriously doubt if this will dramatically increase the number of mature bucks in the state of Missouri.
If people would quit killing smaller bucks (like the one in your avatar) then this method will work. Now wait a minute, I'm not saying that your deer isn't a trophy, or all deer that size aren't a trophy for other hunter's. All I'm saying is that mature bucks need to have several years under their belt to reach a peak. If a hunter wants to take a deer of this caliber as a trophy because it truly is a trophy for that hunter then I am all for it.

I'm not at all calling any particular person out here when I say this; but it erks me when guys have one, two, or more deer hanging on their walls and then complain because the current deer aren't big enough anymore. These arguments can go on and on and can come from many different angles.

However, the great thing about this board is that it lets us express our opinions. And the greatest thing about each of our individual opinions is that none of them are wrong. An opinion is neither fact or fiction, it's just an opinion and we're free to express them here, among friends.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.