Well, There's Always Tomorrow...

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by warrior/poet, Nov 13, 2010.

1. warrior/poet

warrior/poet New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    What a great day though...

Starting at the end of this story - I just plain ol' missed. Dang it.
    :boohoo:

Was on stand around 6:30a, high wind pushing through Henry Co.
    Just before 8a, college age Huntress a few trees down, calls and says she hasn't seen anything, is climbing down and will pass by.

I say cool, I'm going to hang around for a bit, I'll see you later...!!!Big Buck, Big Buck!!! Right under my tree stand, gotta go!, I whispered into the phone.

And he was a big one, old, a real fat neck and a big rack, at least 6 on one side.
    By the time I shouldered my rifle and put crosshairs on him and started counting points, he was moving down a short slope, presenting his posterior to me.
    As he moved away, he quartered for me some, but not enough where I felt confident.
    Oh Man, He's Slipping Away!!
    He turns a corner and presents himself to the Huntress...
    Bam!
    Deer doesn't flinch. Just meanders around this grassy, briar patch we're looking over.
    He doesn't look hit, I say to myself. I gotta shot at this one.

He's now across this field, about 110yds away (i paced it out later). I know I have this buck.

An aside... this is only my second season hunting. I jumped in, both feet, last year.
    This is the very first time I've ever been this close to a really big buck. And this is the first time that I'm going to pull a trigger on a deer. Never had a real good chance last year, my first. Fine. I got this one.

In the crosshairs, broadside, 110yds... Bam!

The Huntress and I waited a few and walked over... to her spot... nothing. Walked over to my spot... nothing. Are you kidding me!? We looked and looked and found no sign that either of us hit him. Nothing, no hair, no blood, no spatter, no deer...

I even went back after breakfast to search him out.

Vanished, poof!

Back out in the evening, I called in a nice 9-pointer for the Huntress and she took it down.

Now, in the morning, I'm going back out for the Ghost w/ the Bulletproof Vest.

:)

2. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    Oh well, better luck tomorrow.

3. warrior/poet

warrior/poet New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Thanks.

Just have to try harder tomorrow...

4. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Don't ya jsut hate it when that happens? Hang in there it will all come around :2thumbsup:

5. warrior/poet

warrior/poet New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    I wish I could say I hate it when this happens... but this was the first time, so nothing to compare it too ;-)

Went back out Sunday morn, my friend and 'mentor' brought down an 8pt... also went out late afternoon...

But my Ghost never showed... (or anything else) Hope to be back out there soon!

I did have a great time though.

6. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    been there! good luck with round 2!

7. warrior/poet

warrior/poet New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Thanks! Just need to get some rest first :)

8. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    We need some pictures of the Huntress' deer.:rules::D

Keep at it, that's what makes it fun.:eek::

9. dodge

dodge Active Member

Oct 8, 2010
    cedar hill, mo
    [rquote=1895166&tid=132040&author=warrior/poet]Thanks.

Just have to try harder tomorrow...[/rquote]

Maybe you were trying too hard:cheers: