Well its going to be a long night! FOUND BUCK 11-12-10 pics added

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by LeeinMo, Nov 6, 2010.

1. LeeinMo

LeeinMo Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Kearney
    Well I would like some advice from some of the experts in here. I was hunting outside of town tonight, the kid had football practice so I needed to stay close to home. As it turned out it was a good choice. About 5 pm I was doing a little rattlin and I hear something walking at the bottom of the ridge. I look down on the road and I see a large deer walkin. I get the binocs on him and it is a shooter. Behind him was a smaller 8 point. I grunt one time and up the ridge he starts. With the wind out of the SW I knew if he came all the way up he would smell me. He stops about halfway up and was looking around. I give him a few ticks on the grunter and he starts running. I get the call down and get the release on the string loop. As I am drawing I let out a loud Bawwwh in my only shooting lane. 22 yard shot broadside.

Now here is my delima. At the shot he mule kicks and charges up to the edge of the field. I see my arrow go plumb through him hit the rocks on the ground and where it ended up I have no idea. I can see blood coming out of the entry hole. It looked like the back of the lung possibly liver. As soon as the deer gets to the field edge I grunt loud with the call. He stops and is looking around. Turns back into the timber where I could not get another shot. I give him a few more ticks and longer grunt and he stops again. He is in a waste high over grown hay field. His head drops into the grass and he starts wobbling. I say to myself excellent he will go down in sight. His tail was going back and forth like crazy. I watched him for 15 mins in one spot with out dropping. I was shocked. I saw where he walked into a little timber spot and did not walk out. Shot was at 5ish I waited till dark to get down. I looked for arrow and could not find it. I went to the edge of the field where he stood. I could only find a little bit of blood. It was bright red, I did not see bubbles in it. I walked up 20 or so yards further without finding anymore blood. I know he went only 50 yards from the stand until I could not see him anymore. Problem that I am worried about is I am only hunting on 40 arces. Back side is new subdivison with houses on acreage. I did not want to push him over the fence into that.

My question is how long does a liver hit deer need to die? I feel good about the shot even without finding the arrow. I was able to see the deer with glasses for long enough to see entry and exit holes. I could see blood on the sides and blood hanging out of the bucks mouth.

This would be my biggest ever bow kill. 2nd largest ever any weapon. 60lb bow carbon arrows with Thunderhead 100 grain fixed broadheads...

it is going to be a long night. I see these kind of posts all the time. Never thought to much about it before. Now I see why guys put them on here. I think we are looking for some reassurances in what we have done? Lee

Well it took me awhile but I just knew he was there somewhere. Found him in a creek ditch 50 yards of where I stopped looking last. Not the best pics coyotes and critters had a feast. I cut his horns off after I called it in a tagged him with my tag. I hit exactly where I thought I hit on the side facing me. But the exit hole was at a 45 degree angle and the deer was broadside of me on the shot! I knew it looked weird when the arrow flew off at such a wierd angle. It is almost like the arrow entered and immediatly shot off at a angle out the back of the deer? Anyone seen that happen before?

[file]147872[/file] [file]147871[/file]

2. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    well he is dead by now i'm sure:cheers:

3. I think that you would be good now but since it is going to be cold tonight I would wait until morning and have really good light to search with but I am no expert :shrug:

:cheers:

4. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    #1 Wait for good light, you can miss a lot with a flashlight, may be you missed some blood tonight

#2 Liver hit he will be cold in the morning

#3 It's cold and the forecast is clear, shouldn't be in a hurry now, a hurry just loses deer

Did about the same thing a few years back now, when I found him he had crawled into a patch of brush that a rabbit would have a hard time getting in, cept I had melting snow to deal with

5. SHEDHEAD

SHEDHEAD New Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Surely if he was bleeding out of the mouth he'd die soon.

GOODLUCK IN THE A.M..:cheers:

6. bowhuntKS

bowhuntKS King of the White Ninjas

Sep 11, 2006
    KS
    I'd say he's dead now, but I'd wait to go out in the a.m.

7. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Yup, he's dead, and yup, I'd wait til mornin!! Can't wait to see some pics!!!:cheers::wave:

8. I'm with yote, he's dead. But good job not pushing him. Go get him bright and early in the morning!

9. LeeinMo

LeeinMo Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Kearney
    Thats what I was thinking too. I backed out after I could not see the blood that good with a light. I just really expected more blood while trailing. Shot was not that extreme. I may have been 18' up. Maybe he is keeping all the blood inside him??? That is what is bothering me the most was the lack of blood. I have only shot 5-6 bucks in 20 years of bowhunting. I try to only shoot decent deer and pass on th smaller ones. I have always seen better blood trails in the past. If I hadn't have seen the deer as long as I did I would be second guessing my shot placement. But I know the shot was in the vitals. Just not perfectly centered.

10. Z-BOYS DAD

Z-BOYS DAD New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    wooldridge mo
    my son shot one in the liver last weekend at 745am and we found him at 2pm. When we found him he jumped and ran another 50 yards and then died.

11. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    Hey Lee, I'm available in the morning to help you if you want. I think I just live down the street from you. Let me know and I can U2U you my #.

12. SHEDHEAD

SHEDHEAD New Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Oh yeah one more thing...........................................

SLEEP TIGHT!:D:cheers:

13. Ozarks-Bowhunter

Ozarks-Bowhunter Active Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Missouri
    [rquote=1883484&tid=131189&author=SHEDHEAD]Surely if he was bleeding out of the mouth he'd die soon.

GOODLUCK IN THE A.M..:cheers:[/rquote]

Thats what i'm thinkin too.

14. LeeinMo

LeeinMo Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Kearney
    [rquote=1883507&tid=131189&author=Z-BOYS DAD]my son shot one in the liver last weekend at 745am and we found him at 2pm. When we found him he jumped and ran another 50 yards and then died. [/rquote]

Was that with a bow or rifle? I would think bow at least I hope??? That is what I was looking for on a timeline basis for how long they take to die out from a bow. Thanks Lee

15. LeeinMo

LeeinMo Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Kearney
    [rquote=1883512&tid=131189&author=kc704]Hey Lee, I'm available in the morning to help you if you want. I think I just live down the street from you. Let me know and I can U2U you my #.[/rquote]

I appreciate the offer you got a new baby at the house. I will go look in the morning first thing if I have trouble I might give you a call. But I understand how it is with a new baby and a Mom with a C section done that twice. Text me your number at 816-813-3417. Thanks man Lee

16. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    [rquote=1883522&tid=131189&author=LeeinMo][rquote=1883512&tid=131189&author=kc704]Hey Lee, I'm available in the morning to help you if you want. I think I just live down the street from you. Let me know and I can U2U you my #.[/rquote]

I appreciate the offer you got a new baby at the house. I will go look in the morning first thing if I have trouble I might give you a call. But I understand how it is with a new baby and a Mom with a C section done that twice. Text me your number at 816-813-3417. Thanks man Lee[/rquote]

Baby isn't out of the hospital yet. Supposed to be tomorrow, but will probably be in the afternoon. They don't get in a hurry to kick them out. I let the mother-in-law stay with them tonight so I could get some stuff ready here at the house. I'll have a couple of hours to kill in the morning so it's not a problem. I'd be more then happy to lend a hand.

17. SHEDHEAD

SHEDHEAD New Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Hey LeeinMo, Apperantly I'm not too far away.
    I've never tried my antler dog on blood but I think she could do it. I've watched her many times pick up where deer had been and trackem a bit. To where that and some motivation, I really think she could do it.
    Just an idea.
    :cheers:

18. LeeinMo

LeeinMo Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Kearney
    Appreciate the offer. I think I will be okay finding it in the daylight hopefully? I would feel real bad making you mess with my stuff when you could be getting some much needed sleep lol. Thanks again. Lee

19. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    [rquote=1883533&tid=131189&author=LeeinMo]Appreciate the offer. I think I will be okay finding it in the daylight hopefully? I would feel real bad making you mess with my stuff when you could be getting some much needed sleep lol. Thanks again. Lee[/rquote]

I'll be up regardless. I gave up sleep back before we had our daughter and I became a firefighter.

20. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    if he is dead now he will be dead in the morning, if he is not dead now he should be dead in the morning. so ewait until the morning, some liver shots can linger for awhile!