Well Im Pretty Sick At My Stomach Right Now

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by HuntinNut, Nov 6, 2010.

1. HuntinNut

HuntinNut Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Lebanon
    I just started bowhunting this year and after this evening Im about ready to give it up. Ive practiced alot and I have a good bow. I shot under a few does early on and went out and got a rangefinder and after alot of practice I finally decided I was ready and wouldnt take a shot again unless I was sure of it.

Well this evening I grunted in a very nice buck and he stopped broadside at 30 yards. When I released everything felt good, but I hit him in the neck. Im not sure if I hit something (overhanging branch)when I released, if he somehow stepped back to turn or if I looked when I hit the release, but I do know Im sick at my stomach right now. I watched him walk about 150 yards with the arrow sticking out both sides of his neck and then jump a fence like nothing had happened.

I gave it about 45 minutes and slid over to where he crossed the fence. I found blood where I hit him and followed it to the fence and over it, but it wasnt alot and was very hard to follow. The fence is about 75 yards from a spring creek and I lost blood halfway to it. He didnt go all the way to the creek but was kind of quartering to it. From what I can tell he never tried to lay down and hit the first trail leading away from where he was shot.

Ill be out first thing in the morning and plan on spending all day looking for him. From the way he was acting Im thinking there maybe a chance he could make it, but Im just not sure right now. Well thats it. Feel free to flame away if you feel the need. I know Im kicking myself pretty hard right now.

2. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    No sense in flaming away man. Everyone is gonna lose one at some point. I've been bowhunting for almost 20 years and have lost my fair share. My doe I shot last week I shot in the butt. Nothing is guaranteed!! A neck shot you have to hope for a carotid artery hit. It might take a while, but he'll bleed out. If you hit him in the esophagus he won't be able to eat and could starve. Anything other then that I'd say he'll be fine. Do your best to look for him. If you can't find him swallow the lump and get back out in a stand.

3. bowhuntKS

bowhuntKS King of the White Ninjas

Sep 11, 2006
    KS
    No worries and no need to kick a guy while he's down. It happens...don't quit hunting and don't give up. It'll come together for ya one of these years if not this year then next. Bow hunting just takes time. As far as your buck goes...three things are possible with your shot. 1. You got an artery a he'll bleed out...doesn't sound like this is the case. 2. He'll get infection and die...it happens...just the way it is. 3. Someone will light him up during gun season.

Either way...hold your head high...like I said...It happens.

4. [rquote=1883451&tid=131187&author=kc704]Do your best to look for him. If you can't find him swallow the lump and get back out in a stand. [/rquote]

X2

:cheers:

5. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Practice shooting from your average stand elevation. It's a tad different than standing on flat ground.
    30 yards isn't far away, but it's not "that close", in all honesty I consider that to be my max yardage on a good broadside shot.
    Sticking one and not killing it is part of bowhunting. Learn from it and use it to make yourself a better hunter. I guarantee you are already a better hunter from learning to bow hunt than you were before. It's a continual journey, keep after it. :cheers:

6. bowhuntKS

bowhuntKS King of the White Ninjas

Sep 11, 2006
    KS
    Wings brings up a good point...There was a lot of years that even though I practiced out to 40 I didn't take a shot on a deer past 20 yds. Just helped my confidence plus I learned to set up stands better to give myself closer shots.

Either way don't stop bow hunting.

7. LeeinMo

LeeinMo Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Kearney
    It happens to all at some point. I would think the deer turned to run or you glanced off a banch. I have one laying out tonight too. I will be up early looking myself. Lee

8. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    Could of also hit the sleeve of your bow arm wiht the bow string.

But that asside I had a deer once run 1/4 of a mile after shoting him wiht my bow. I had to fallow drosp of blood smaller then a diamiter of pencil eraser the whoel distance. He never laid down he jsut ran untill he died. I re tracked him the next day found hi stiff and dead. It was a heart and high lungshot.

ON a dif ocasion I had my string hit my for arm on release and i got neck shot on the deer. I dint start showing blood good for a whole 400 yards but when it did it was public swimming pool quantitie. This one to ran untill he died. NO stoping.

Go back in the morning and go to your last blood seen mark. Remember blood spots dont have ot be on the gorund all the time. Look for broken vegitation and broken branches on trees as well. Go slow and cary a few things ot mark blood spots so you can have 3 items down at all time so you can visualizxe the blood line to get idea where next spot will be if you lose it again.

Its cold enouf tonight meet wil still be good.

Good luck

9. HuntinNut

HuntinNut Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Lebanon
    I'm going to the last place I found blood and start the circle. The game trail runs beside the creek so I'm hoping Ill find hI'm piled up in the creek somewhere.. I just wish I could have found alittle more blood so I could get a better sense of where he might be heading. I guess if nothing else Ill be out early enough to listen for the yotes.

10. Ozarks-Bowhunter

Ozarks-Bowhunter Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Missouri
    All good advice. Lots of things can happen on the shot. Possibly the string may have hit some clothing on your arm.
    Keep your head up,look for him tomorrow and don't let your confidence get down

11. citybowhunter

citybowhunter Senior Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Independence Mo.
    Keep after him and keep after the bow hunting. It takes work but it's worth it. .02

12. mag1

mag1 Active Member

Chin up, sometimes things dont go like they are supposed to. A tip I was told when I first started bowhunting is to "practice in your hunting clothes, so you can know if clothes are going to get in the way". Good luck on the recovery.

13. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    I don't know what kinda target you practice on, but it made a world of difference for me when I got an actual deer target and practiced at it.

Where you located? Maybe someone could help ya in the morning.

14. BowtechIAN

BowtechIAN New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Columbia
    My boss shot a deer in the neck along time ago,month later gun hunter got him with the arrow still there. No signs of any problems beside lead poisoning.

With a 2'' mechanical you probably wouldn't have this problem:stirpot:

15. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    as mentioned, so much can go wrong then ad nerves, as long as you are taking quality shots with no limbs in the way short of quiting (and you don't want to do that) there is no way to 100% avoid bad shots. Prtactice and practice some more and if you are in a county with unlimited tags I would suggest shooting ever doe you can possibly eat, IMO killing breeds confidence....but I certainly hit my buck in the neck last season and I kill all kinds of does, so who knows. stuff happens!

16. Heart shot

Heart shot Active Member

Jul 19, 2008
    St. Louis
    My bro shot a buck in the neck. Arrow went clean thru, blood everywhere. Tracked it all day, but never found it. 6 days later I killed him chasing a doe. That deer may live for awhile if u didn't hit an artery.

17. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

First deer I shot with a bow glanced off the front shoulder and into the neck. She had a blood trail that was easy to follow and found her about 100 yards from where she was hit.

Good luck in finding him.

18. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    No sense beating yourself up over it, things happen and life goes on. I've had my share of bowhunting heartbreaks too. It just a fact of life. I hope you find him near the water today deader than a door nail! Chin up Brother!

19. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    one other thing with a neck shot you may have subconsoiusly (I cant spell) have been looking at the rack, it happens. years ago I had a buddy who had shot several does but never a buck, well we decided to videotape hunts that year and low and behold he was hunting when a decent 8 ptr came out. it was a 15 yard chip shot and when he released we watched the arrow bounce off his horns :eek: (he never lived it down as it was video'd :rof2::rof2: )
    I've killed my share of deer and some decent bucks but about 6-7 yrs ago I had this weird racked non-typicial come out and head my way, I still remember the shot, he passed into a shooting lane I had at 22 yards and I shot him in the eye :eek::eek::eek: , never did find him and had very little blood :whinging::whinging: , and I as I replay the shot over in mind several times over all I remember is what his rack looked like so I'm willing to bet I never looked at his vitals and was focused on his rack.

not saying thats what happened but it may be the answer, just don't give up bad shots can and do happen but when it all comes together its worth it :cheers::cheers:

20. 7RUM

7RUM Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Mid-Mo
    like everyone else has said... thats part of bowhunting. If you find him, or if you dont, the only thing you can do is learn from it and continue on