well, i finally got a pic on my cam...

Discussion in 'Trailcams & Accessories' started by Rebel2, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    so seems like an eternity ago now, i got a game cam for xmas... had all kinds of plans of getting it set up back in jan but, one thing and others came up and kept me from it.. But i finally put it out 2 weeks ago, went and got the film and was many tracks around the feeder and corn was eaten up, but only got 1 pic of a deer..

Any suggestions on something i could do better to get more pics of deer? The cam is about waist high pointed towards the feeder (obviously) and made sure that no limbs would sway and cause it to go off prematurely, i think i got it facing northenly..

newho, heres the 1 deer i got on film...

2. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Heres the area in the daylight (no deer unfortunately)

3. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

What have you got your event settings at???? I'm no camera buff,, but if it took one pic, it might be in the settings.

:cheers::cheers:

4. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    I am no help but I do like that pic............:cheers:

5. BeardsnSpurs

BeardsnSpurs New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Waist high is too high

6. looks like a good start :cheers:

7. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I had mine around thigh high and worked great. Caught coons, coyotes, bobcats and every deer. By the looks of the ground under the feeder you have plenty of deer using the feeder. Are you using good quality film? Some of the off brand is a little stiff and won't function very well in cold weather. I found that out the hard way. I always use Kodak in either 400 ASA or even 800 ASA. 800 ASA works good in low light. Oh yea....always always use good quality alkaline batteries. I have found that the rechargable ones just don't have the lasting power as the regular throw aways ones do. Sure they are cheaper but I have to leave mine in for 3 weeks at a time at least. If you can check the batteries more often than that the rechargable one would work ok.

8. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    kinda giving you i want more look

9. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Could be the sensor setting...or the sensor itself???

Does the feeder have a timer, where you could set it to feed only during the day?

That daytime pic looks great, except for the fact there's no deer in it... :frown:

10. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I'm confused.....were all of your pics of nothing then, and just one deer, or were there coons and such in other pics eating the corn? How many pics developed? :confused:

Parker

11. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Looks to me as if that deer is scared of that feeder! :hysterical:

12. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    So, I need to lower it to wasit high... check.. ill do er friday when im off work. Ive been checking my feeder every couple of weeks.

Film is kodak 400, well now it is.. the manual called for 200 so thats what i used originally.

Batteries are just off the shelf non rechargeable energizers.

It doesnt feed at night, its only set to put out corn in the morning and in the evening.. one time at daylight and one time at dusk. It can feed upto 16 times a day, upto 6 pounds or something like that each time.. I have it set to do 1 pound twice a day.

Parker, the other pics are just here on my computer, was 2 more when dark and the rest daytime... just didnt wanna post a bunch of pictures with nothing on it...

The settings is probably one area where i need to work on.. i think for the first time i had it set to take 2 pictures each time it was triggered and it would or could only re-trigger every 8 minutes. When i put the new film in i set it to 3 or 4 pics (cant remember exactly) and would trigger every 4 minutes.

I think ill run out there this friday and move it down some to waist high. I guess it could be something short, coons, squirrels turks etc triggering it.. i dunno.. im new to this game cam stuff.. Hopefully eventually ill have a digital one, but for now this will have to make due.

Thanks yall for your advice!! :cheers:

13. Passthru

Passthru Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Rebelcj7, I hate hearing about someone having troubles with thier cam, especially when its a 35mm and your spending all that money for empty pictures...You know, you can pay to get the negatives done and no pictures, Look at the negatives and then have only those you want developed...look close though.

Tell me a bit about the cam? does it have an walk test mode for aiming it...this is also best used to check distance, it looks like the flash will reach to just beyond the tree on the oppsite side of the feeder...When you hang your cam make sure it is not picking up movement beyond that point...if you have a sensitivity adjustment set it to reach only that far...it may be to high, if its to high the slightest thing can trigger it, as it may become very unstable.
    There is nothing green on the trees in front, so nothing should be triggering the cam from that perspective...How big is the tree you have the cam on? if its under 6" in diameter the wind could be blowing that tree and the cam itself will move with the sway and trigger...Just a thought. Also the feeder is black, it will warm up during the day, if the tree sways and the feeder is warm, you now have heat in motion..thats how the sensor works.

Batteries, Check them with a volt meter, Make SURE they are good, even off the shelf batteries can be weak, weak batteries can mean False triggering repeatedly depending on your delay...Look at the times on your pictures to determine how often it false triggered, is it fairly regular? like all during the sunrise and sunset times?
    Rechargeable batteries at full charge have less voltage output...4 AA's = 6VDC, 5 AA NiMH rechargeables gives you the same 6VDC it takes an extra battery...check your manual to be sure it will operate at the lower voltage of 4 NiMH batteries.

Do you have a Dessicant pack inside the cam to keep it moisture free? Sometimes the slightest humidity can upset the electronics and they will freak out..30deg at night and 70deg during the day...sun shining on the cam all day can cause condensation...this is a big no no.

Set your cam up between your waist and knee, use a stick between the tree and back of cam to level it (point it up or down).

Use 400 ISO film, 24 exposure... 400 ISO grabs more light faster, 24 exposure is easier on the winding mechanism when the film gets cold...if you use more exposures you run the risk or stripping those gears.

Email me some of those empty nightime pics...I have had people email me pics they thought was empty and I looked and clearly see a deer or shining eyeball out of flash range...or tree rat hanging on a tree 30ft away ...Birds can trigger an unstable sensor when they swoop in to get corn...you just may not be catching that on film.

Best advise I can give you is to Buy a digital, or better yet build your own!!!! the money you save from not developing film will pay for the cam easily...My cam can take as many as 200 pictures in a single night on a feeder....You dont want to be replacing film every day...Move your cam off to one side, catch them coming to the feeder, not on the feeder itself.

I hope something here helps