Weldon tomorrow??

Discussion in 'Special Hunts' started by Monofletch, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Monofletch

Monofletch Senior Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Midwest
    I'll see you at Weldon Springs tomorrow. I'll be the one in the orange. :D

Anyone else hunting Weldon Springs tomorrow?

2. Bloodtrail 1

Bloodtrail 1 Grand PooBah

Dec 11, 2007
    Missouri
    I'll honk as I drive by road hunting!

3. Monofletch

Monofletch Senior Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Midwest
    I didn't see a deer all day!!

4. Haris122

Haris122 Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Where did you hunt at Weldon?

5. Monofletch

Monofletch Senior Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Midwest
    My favorite 'doe' spot is off the Katy trail from the river access parking lot. We had squirrels and people. I'm not sure what the people were doing hiking off the trail, but they didn't have orange on.
    "
    I'm heading out in a few.

6. Haris122

Haris122 Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Yeah, it generally seems like there's always people at Weldon that don't know that firearms managed hunts take place there around this time of year. I usually try to go where I don't expect people including other hunters to want to go. Hopefully that works for me tomorrow when I finally get out (not at Weldon this year).

7. Monofletch

Monofletch Senior Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Midwest
    Plus- when I hike or bike down the Katy Trail with a high powered rifle people tend to freak out. Even though I am wearing orange and have the Managed Hunt placard flopping in the breeze....while DRAGGING A DEER.

8. Haris122

Haris122 Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Yeah last year there, once I finally got mine out from the woods and was pulling the dolly on the side of 94, I had several people call the conservation agent about it. Guess jokes on them, I had called him the day before (couldn't get it out the first day). I'd rather they do snitch on me rather than let someone poach but come on, it was opening weekend, how do you travel on 94 frequently and not realize that there's a time in november that's rifle hunting season. First time I got picked, I had one bike rider ask me, all surprised,what all the orange was about, and then if anyone went the way he was riding the bike. I said yeah. And then he wondered if they would see him. I told him you should see them, and that they're not supposed to shoot within 100 feet of a marked trail. Naturally he was still a bit nervous, but still went on riding the bike. I'm honestly surprised they let them do that. Figure they could close the area for 2-3 days for each managed firearms hunt at least to stuff like that. But if not, then the people biking and such should understand that during those hunts, we got as much right to use the area for our hobby as they do for theirs. Actually while scouting there last year I had a staredown with a doe I spooked on a trail, and it just so happened a bicyclist was coming full speed from the other side of trail. By the time I yelled to him, he came around the curve already, and barely managed to not run into the doe.