Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
"It may have been an accident, but it is positively unforgivable that they allow people to hunt with firearms on Mother’s Day weekend on one of the most heavily traveled trails,” Brown said. “They need to mark that differently. There were families out there today with kids and dogs.”

·
Registered
21,657 Posts
"It may have been an accident, but it is positively unforgivable that they allow people to hunt with firearms on Mother’s Day weekend on one of the most heavily traveled trails,” Brown said. “They need to mark that differently. There were families out there today with kids and dogs.”
thanks lady, could care less about your opinion! Maybe people should stay home on mothers day:), JMO...again the shooter was wrong!

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
If there should be a stop sign at an intersection and a car rolls through that and someone is killed, isnt there a case to be made for MODOT or local govt responsibility/wrongful death?

In my opinion, if there is going to be hunting in there, they should have blocked off those trails.

·
Registered
31,423 Posts
Regardless of who should have done what, the hunting community comes away with the black eye.

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
Regardless of who should have done what, the hunting community comes away with the black eye.
Especially when it has our own calling us "not too bright"

Reactions: 90acres

·
Registered
31,423 Posts
I just assumed he was talking about himself.

Reactions: 90acres and rat

·
Registered
21,657 Posts
I am not going to take up for missionh, but you have to admit the public preception of hunters is not painted very favorably. While I disagree with the overall perception, there are plenty of verified hillbillies/irresponsible hunters that don't help the overall image! Of course, many of those are poachers that the public lumps with hunters.

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts

·
Grrrrrrr
29,875 Posts
Wait. What? If a hunter shot a person instead of a turkey the hunter fuuucckked up. It’s not the hikers fault, it’s not the trails fault, it’s not MDC’s fault....it’s the Shooter’s fault. That’s that. Unless of course the hiker was behind a real turkey and the timing was perfect which is highly unlikely.

·
Registered
21,657 Posts
Wait. What? If a hunter shot a person instead of a turkey the hunter fuuucckked up. It’s not the hikers fault, it’s not the trails fault, it’s not MDC’s fault....it’s the Shooter’s fault. That’s that. Unless of course the hiker was behind a real turkey and the timing was perfect which is highly unlikely.
That sounds like exactly what it was0

·
1,383 Posts
If the hunter would have just applied the "SSS" rule all of this would have never been a problem. We have to many hikers as it is and nobody would've missed having one less. Just saying

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
I dont disagree but closing off the trail would have gone a long way towards preventing this.
If I were the MDC, I would have thought letting people traipse through an area where there are hunters would have left me with some liability.
People are sue-happy these days.
The hunter fuuuucked up for sure.
If the person shot was a family member, I’m not sure I know too many people who would just say “oh well, thats the way it goes”. Normally personal injury at the hands of someone else who was negligent means lawsuit. Either the person who shot or someone who created the situation for negligence by not employing certain safeguards, or both really. I’d like to hear from someone with legal experience to chime in.

I’ve always thought unmanned shooting ranges sponsored by the MDC was a ticking time bomb. Probably a poor analogy.

If the hiker would have died, I’m sure the shooter would have been charged with manslaughter. At the very least, he is responsible in some way.
It’s not an easy situation. I’m probably all wet on this.

Reactions: fowlfanatic

·
Registered
612 Posts
I am not going to take up for missionh, but you have to admit the public preception of hunters is not painted very favorably. While I disagree with the overall perception, there are plenty of verified hillbillies/irresponsible hunters that don't help the overall image! Of course, many of those are poachers that the public lumps with hunters.
I certainly agree with the overall perception you mentioned. Especially, in comparison to say..... the golf crowd. Golfers have a "Dress Code" on many courses. It's known as a "Gentleman's game". Hunting..... not so much.

Hunting...... tends to have a much different crowd. And before you hate. I don't golf.

I did shoot my first deer and take it to a check station in the 90s. Some hillbilly was there that was trying to check in a GOAT he shot. I swear. THIS MAN WAS ALLOWED TO BUY A GUN and harvested a goat.

Hunters include some that break the law and give us all a bad name as mentioned previously. Gregg Ritz (cough cough), and the countless poachers & baiters out there as well as the hunting accidents that are totally avoidable with some common sense, safety, and the long forgotten woodsmanship.

Golfers.... You never hear of a golfer killing another golfer or threatening the reputation of golfers....

·
Biology nit wit exposer
80,689 Posts
Google "fight breaks out on golf course"

Reactions: MOGC

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
Everyone has a story of a person trying to check in a goat at the check station.
I often wonder how so many people have the same story (personal experience) and how many of them are true.

Reactions: bucksnguns

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,795 Posts
Everyone has a story of a person trying to check in a goat at the check station.
I often wonder how so many people have the same story (personal experience) and how many of them are true.
I have never seen that..... But, I did see a guy kill a drake canvasback when they were illegal, and he had been checked by an MDC agent who didn't realize what it was either... :D True Story, happened at a boat ramp at Mark Twain Lake.

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
I have never seen that..... But, I did see a guy kill a drake canvasback when they were illegal, and he had been checked by an MDC agent who didn't realize what it was either... :D True Story, happened at a boat ramp at Mark Twain Lake.
That one I can see completely. But, the two deer stories I hear the most about check stations is either someone tried to check livestock OR the deer wasn’t dead, opened the trunk and the deer jumps out of the trunk and runs away.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,795 Posts
That one I can see completely. But, the two deer stories I hear the most about check stations is either someone tried to check livestock OR the deer wasn’t dead, opened the trunk and the deer jumps out of the trunk and runs away.
Well, that sorta happened to Tommy Boy.... :D

Reactions: letemgrow
1 - 20 of 41 Posts