Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Under appreciated
91,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get these weekly tips from Buckmasters.. dont know how I got on their mailing list, but oh well.
I thought this weeks tip was pertinent to some of the recent conversations here..
you all might have seen this already.

You've probably read dozens of articles recommending harvesting big, healthy does to help reduce deer populations. Other articles talk about how to tell mature does from yearlings to help hunters cull only mature does. But some biologists are taking a new approach to thinning herds and are recommending taking the very youngest deer instead.

Their reasoning is that it is much better for the habitat to harvest a yearling because it requires more food and nutrients to grow to maturity. And mature does are valuable because they are much more likely to produce healthy twin fawns and almost always breed in the normal rut window – both good things for the health of the herd.

The risk in taking young deer, of course, is that you will inevitably take some button bucks. Both schools of thought have their merits, so which is right for you?

To answer that question, ask yourself another: What is the bigger concern for your herd, buck/doe ratios or overpopulation/poor nutrition. If buck/doe ratios are your big problem, it might be best for you to preserve all bucks and go with taking only mature, long-faced does. If habitat and numbers are tops on your list, remove the younger deer. Either way, you're a winner at the dinner table.

·
Under appreciated
91,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Course, you do risk whacking the occasional button buck, right? ;)

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Originally posted by rat
Course, you do risk whacking the occasional button buck, right? ;)
Ya gotta get the headlights just right, so ya can tell if it's a button buck or not...hehehe

·
Under appreciated
91,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Gutpile
almost always breed in the normal rut window....how is this beneficial to the herd?
Insures maximum # of "hits" and greater incidence of fertilization by a healthy dominant buck
would be my guess...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Weekly tip:

Dont eat the yellow snow!

I personally would rather take mature does because they put more meat in the freezer and are more of a challenge as they are a lot smarter. Plus, if you were to only take the young does, then the old does are gonna die of something, probably old age. I'd rather they go in my freezer than a yotes stomach. That's not to say I wont take a young doe, but I have passed on many. I seldom if never pass on a mature doe.

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,897 Posts
Originally posted by rat
Originally posted by Gutpile
almost always breed in the normal rut window....how is this beneficial to the herd?
Insures maximum # of "hits" and greater incidence of fertilization by a healthy dominant buck
would be my guess...
I think no matter when a doe comes into heat a buck is gonna fill the need so to speak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.