Wear YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!! EVERY TIME!!!!

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Hatch, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    Hunted the Lewis County lease last weekend with my dad and a long time hunting partner, I had to leave Sat afternoon so the two ol birds had the farm all to their selves.. Monday morning my dad was in his favorite spot in his favorite climber waiting before sunrise, over the past couple of years I have been pushing him to wear his safety harness and slowly but surely he has startd to wear it every time out, he is 69 years old and I am worried sometimes but he is in good shape and rabbit hunts all season and still uses a climber to deer hunt out of. Another thing we all started doing was taking out walkie talkies which gives us all peace of mind to be able to check in with each other, anyway as the sun came up my dad decided to stand up and in an instant he was hanging from his tree in his safety harness! The platform had dropped and he was trapped 15 feet from the ground, as LUCK would have it he was able to to get his radio and call his buddy Sam, he said Sam was there in a flash to help him get down... this story ended well! BUT... PLEASE, EVERYONE! Wear your harness EVERY TIME! Take the extra second to put it on and have a line of communication, phone or radios, it can save your life or the life of a friend or family member.. WEAR IT EVERY TIME !!!:rules:

2. Cedar Thicket

Cedar Thicket Blonde Bearded Guy

Glad to hear a happy ending........is a very good thing...:cheers:

3. ckbuck

ckbuck New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Good advice!! I haven't been wearing mine but decided the other day that I need to start wearing it everytime.

4. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm glad your dad is okay. Probably makes him glad you insisted on him wearing it.

5. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    GOOD FREAKING STORY HATCH! We NEVER get to hear about the suckers working! :2thumbsup:

Make sure he gets a new harness. They're only good for one fall.

Parker

6. Roscoe Dog

Roscoe Dog Active Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Maryland Heights,Mo
    Glad that your dad is ok.

7. letemgrow

letemgrow Well-Known Member

Just another reminder....I drove back to my parents house to get mine even though it took an extra 30 minutes to do so...always go back and get it no matter what. That deer is not worth a wheel chair or death!!!

8. Glad to hear it did not turn out worse then it did

:cheers:

9. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Thank goodness he had that on!

10. woodcarver

woodcarver Active Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Smithville
    Good story, glad he is ok.

11. BIG-DH

BIG-DH New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    YES!!! I just feel so much safer in my stand with the harness on. I got up about 10 feet in the past and the same thing happened, my bottom platform slid down the tree, and i landed on the ground on my back in some leaves, luckily i was fine. BUT YES WEAR A HARNESS WE HEAR TO MANY HORROR STORIES ABOUT PEOPLE FALLING!

And I am very glad your dad is fine! :)

12. firemedjoe

firemedjoe New Member

Wow be safe out there everyone. I have my Hss harness wont leave home without it.

13. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I wear mine EVERY time I hunt the fils but I admit that I get complacent on another property I hunt.

We hung a new set couple weeks ago and my buddy said "harness required" on that stand. I've killed a couple of deer there and now I am required to use it... and good deal too.
    Its a shagbark so I stripped most of the stuff that would make noise and we made it perfect for the harness.
    I have an HSS and it'll get used this year. Glad your dad is ok Hatch and thanks for sharing that story. :wave:

14. Scott63401

Scott63401 New Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Palmyra, MO
    thanks for the post...conversations like this go a long way

15. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    Hatch, I'm glad your dad is OK, but please, get a piece of rope & tie the bottom section of his climber to the top section of his climber so it can be pulled back up.

16. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1876589&tid=130692&author=pinwheel]Hatch, I'm glad your dad is OK, but please, get a piece of rope & tie the bottom section of his climber to the top section of his climber so it can be pulled back up.[/rquote]

Good point... when I was using a climber, I always tied the platform to the upper section.
    loose your platform down the tree and you need help, no other way.

17. goosekilla

goosekilla Senior Member

Dec 9, 2008
    west of STL
    Glad the ol man is ok

18. Z7shooter237

Z7shooter237 Member

Sep 29, 2010
    glad to hear hes ok, that is always scary

19. Satch

Satch Senior Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Central MO
    We've started putting climbing ropes with prusik knots for climbing. beats trying to use the linemans belt or moving the loop up every step.

Glad your dad is ok

20. TeamBDM

TeamBDM Active Member

Mar 2, 2008
    SW Mo
    [Good point... when I was using a climber, I always tied the platform to the upper section.
    loose your platform down the tree and you need help, no other way.[/rquote]

X2 Rat, bout lost my platform one time lucky I snagged it with my foot. Went home and tied a rope to both sections.