Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

We really need to start promoting fur!!!!!

1K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  JMAC 
#1 ·
I found my fourth broken up turkey nest in three weeks this morning.

****'s, possums, skunks, and bobcats must die. :sniper:

Long as the prices stay low we may as well start just shooting them and leaving them lay. :)

#2 ·
yep the fur market sux and no one is taking them.

Does anyone really even trap anymore ? When I was in school a bunch of boys trapped. Now I rarely see or hear of anyone doing it.

#3 ·
hunter7x, I just had this converstation wiff a guy the other day. Lots of us used to have a trapline before and after school. AND everyone had dogs.

AND WE DID IT FOR THE MONEY! Not the sport. Bout all there is left is some sport hunters and trappers I think. We are gonna see the backlash of a poor fur market eventually I am afeared. :banghead:

And then there is the disease and die offs that will come.

#4 ·
right...used to you didn't drive on any county road and find a dead ****. Now they are 3 or 4 a mile. Those road kills sold just as well as the trapped ones for the most part !!

Ok we'll impliment a tree hugger/ fur bearer season. Tree huggers have a bounty and fur bearers are worth market price?

#5 ·
A week ago I heard about something that completely wipes out ***** & possims. Mix MtDew & fly bait ( I can't remember the actual name) into a pan and place it in the woods. The guy that told me about this said he went back the next day and had 4 ***** & 8 possims all laying dead within 10 yds of the pan. Probably not legal but it sounds like it sure will put the hurting on those critters.

#7 ·
Seen 2 ***** and one Skunk out in the middle of the day while hunting.

I found one nest destroyed.I think the same thing is happening to Quail and Rabbits.

I'll eat the *****.And I'm always seeing them out Squirrel Hunting but can't shoot them.I talked with the Conservation Department opening season year round.They said the **** Hunters would have a fit.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin won't tell.

#16 ·
actualy late **** prices wasnt all that bad, I averaged 8 dollars green skinned for my *****. If missouri would change their laws to allow larger conibears on dry land and I was close to your area I would gladly try to put a dent in your **** population. they talk of shortning the season but that would hurt bobcat prices as they dont prime up real good until jan time frame anyway.

#17 ·
I've said this 1000's of times and I'll say it 1000's more. There is too dang many predators and the turkey numbers are really being affected by it in some areas. Sooner or later it is going to becoming more and more widespread and the days of killing 50,000 in the spring are going to be long gone. The second thing hurting them is the extremely early spring followed by the cold wet conditions that have become the norm for mid-May (ie conditions like they are right now). The nesting is in full swing by early April and then it turns into a flood and winter again. What eggs don't get eaten by predators either get flooded away or chilled to the point they won't hatch and just rot.

#19 ·
chuck88,Exactly right,I would go along with taking the time off the front end if it was a matter of better managing the resource. I don't believe theres any danger of overharvesting *****. To consider shortening the season because the furbuyers want it?I call B.S. on that.To manage a public resource to cater to private enterprise?Again I call B.S. on that. I only target cats and yotes,everything else is pretty much a bycatch to me.Our fur is'nt that great to begin with, I agree with you,our cats are prime late in the season.
Sorry for the rant,this is close to my heart.
While I love to catch cats and would do it regardless of market value(I did'nt sell one cat this year,they all went to the taxidermist) I target yotes because I want to eliminate as many of them as possible (them damn things will kill a cat) I do however wage war on the rest of the predators and remove as many as possible.
Mike

#20 ·
You know, no matter what time of year it is, anytime I come accross a **** possum, skunk, etc, something crazy happens, my gun, as if it has a mind of it's own, comes out and the poor little critter gets plugged. I cant explain it. It is almost as weird as what happens to my steering wheel anytime I see one of them on the road. The truck just instinctively swerves over to take em out.

#22 ·
Originally posted by DShootnstGentemn
I come in here thinking DSG was talking about that sequal to Brokeback Mountain that someone had posted a few months ago. The one witt da wimmins in it:banghead:. Boy I was mistaken. But I'm still witt ya, them critters are ruthless on the bird nests.

#23 ·
Originally posted by Hayzer
Originally posted by DShootnstGentemn
I come in here thinking DSG was talking about that sequal to Brokeback Mountain that someone had posted a few months ago. The one witt da wimmins in it:banghead:. Boy I was mistaken. But I'm still witt ya, them critters are ruthless on the bird nests.
You know, I had the same thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.