Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
started off the morning getting up late. not an early riser on my own. ran up to my hunting sopt and the birds were already gobbling. unfortunately there was one gobbling in the corner i usually sit in and regularly produces birds so i went to an area in a pasture which is sometimes used as a strut zone, problem is it is only 50 yards from my truck. didn't feel much like hunting. anyway got sat up and had two birds gobbling on the adjacent property which i can hunt also. had four hens come through the hedge row about 70 yards to the north of me. called a gobbler into the hedgerow and we talked to each other for about 20 minutes. i could see him walking back and forth on the other side of the hedgerow but no way for a shot. finally decided to sneak to the hedgerow and see what i had to work with. yeah, before i could talk myself out of it i screwed it up and he took off running to parts unknown. got mad at myself and started to head for the house but decided since it was early to go back and sit for awhile. moved to another field and there were three hens and a tom in it. watched them for about 20 minutes and then they started through the trees. i cut the same trees and got set up where Alex had been during youth season and looked up to see two hens at the edge of the field. after about five minutes the hens came out into the field and the tom followed. they came to about 20 yards and put the tom down with the old winchester supreme #6 and the Remington 11-87.

here is the pics with my ugly mug.

1'' spurs and 9'' beard

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by beanpile
Originally posted by wingmaninmo
didn't feel much like hunting.
WHAT?????:stickfight:

nice bird anyway...
after i read that it is confusing. i always feel like hunting, it just did not feel like i was hunting 50 yards from my truck and the road, both in full view.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Way to hang tough and congrats.........:cheers:

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Congrats Mike. Surely that's not the same tom that Alex shot at is it, just looking at how rough the tail feather look??? If it is I'll tell Alex you got his bird for him ;).

Still working on trying to get a day off but not looking good.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Mike congrats and nice job of stickin' with it.:cool:

Jack:cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks all, glad i turned around this morning.

john, that is the first thing i thought of when i got to him. i don't think i broke the tail feathers because his head was stretched out trying to figure out what was pointing a shotgun at him. of course more than likely he broke them in his death throws but you never know. it was in the same place as alex shot at his. just for kicks and giggles tell alex i finished him off for him and if he wouldn't have slowed him down i never would have got him anyway.:)

thanks again all. feels good after not touching a bird in missouri last year. reinstalls some confidence.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.