Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok got a question how often do you wax your string?
another thread got me thinking about it. personally i like wax and its cheap i wax mine after every outing of target shooting especally if its really hot and humid out or if it was raining. durning hunting season at least every two or three days of hunting.

now i am sure this is alot more than is necessary but like i say this is the way i have always done it and wax is cheap so what ever.

now what kind do you prefer? i use black magic or black lighting that cabelas has i find its much softer than the stufff that most places carry that clear stuff that bohing makes the black stuff seems to me to go in the string so much easier.

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
I think that Mike from Mikes bait and tackle in St. Peters told me that you should only wax it if it looks like it is getting dry. Too much can do just as much damage as not enough.

It has been awhile since that day so maybe I am remembering incorectly...........somebody chime in her por favor.

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
I know guys that wax after every time shooting and their strings look great after a long time. I personally just keep an eye on it and wax it at the first sign of needing it. I try not to wait.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Originally posted by Chairman
So ~ my being new to shooting with a compound bow...

How do you know when it needs waxing?

Do you wax the string from ATA, or....
I wax everywhere there is string to wax. When it looks a little frayed (just the slightest bit) when you get up on it and look at it, rub the wax into it. Its a VERY cheap way to make your string last longer.

Parker

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
I wax mine a couple of times a year. I use the wax from a toilet bowl ring(a new one).

:cheers::cheers:

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,534 Posts
Durn it Henry, you beat me to it. I used to shoot with Gary Lucas & that gang at Lucas archery, & that's what Gary always said to use. I'm lucky if I wax mine once or twice a year. I've shot strings that look pretty ratty, then add a little wax & tone them right down. It needs wax, but no need to get carried away.

Best way I know to apply wax & get it worked way into the strings & cables is with a small piece of leather. Apply wax to your string in the usual manner, then wrap the leather around the string & briskly rub the leather up & down to heat up the string & wax. It'll penetrate all the way in.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Originally posted by Arrow-1
I think that Mike from Mikes bait and tackle in St. Peters told me that you should only wax it if it looks like it is getting dry. Too much can do just as much damage as not enough.

It has been awhile since that day so maybe I am remembering incorectly...........somebody chime in her por favor.
Heard it from Mike in a seminar!

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Nicholas
Originally posted by Arrow-1

Heard it from Mike in a seminar!
any one know what the reasoning that too much aint good might be? i need that one explained not saying its wrong i just don't know. but if its ture i guess i am on the too much side:rotfl:

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
I cant explain it............maybe somebody can ask Mike this weekend..........

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
He told me that with the technology and string quality today that you just do not need the wax. The string material is just not as vulnerable to the elements as yesteryear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.